Becoming Close - Kakuzu

There was only so much you could do to keep yourself warm right now. Your hands and arms were brought into your cloak whilst you hugged yourself to at least stop the shivering.

"Why do we even have to sleep in this tree? The floor would be much better on our backs surely," you pouted, shrugging the high collar above your nose as you scooted around on the branch to get comfortable.

Kakuzu stayed with his back pressed against the girth of the tree, legs either side of the branche he's seated on, to keep him still. He made little to no complaints about these sleeping arrangements, ever.

"You'll be colder on the ground. Besides, you're asking to be ambushed to sleep so obviously out in the open"

"Tch, 'out in the open', then why don't we spend some money on a cheap inn?" Emphasis on the cheap to entice your partner.

You gained no answer, just the usual glare given to you at any point you brought up spending what he calls, his money, and not the Akatsuki's. You sighed out tiredly as you found a spot where you felt safe enough to fall asleep and not fall down.

You couldn't deny that the night was clear and beautiful, the stars shun above the two of you, making the scenery all the more worthwhile when on long missions like this one. However, you couldn't stop shivers rippling through your body.

"Stop moving, you're shaking the tree" Kakuzu grunted, watching a leaf or two shake. You pursed your lips, "How are you not cold? It's freezing!"

"5 hearts" is all he states, leaving you to frown with slight envy right now.

"Just try and get some sleep, I'll be on first watch. I'll wake you up in a few hours"

You slump down and curl into yourself as much as possible, grumbling that this situation sucks but probably better than having Hidan as a partner. Kakuzu's eyes were meant to be on both of your surroundings, making sure you two were safe before first light. However, they couldn't be pulled away from you. When seconds began to feel like minutes, he lets out a long winded sigh at the action he is about to take. It is so unlike him and he knew that. It was a risk in his eyes but to see you comfortable is all that mattered to him right now.

The sound of him unzipping his cloak made you open one eye to peak at what he was up to. Then, his arms slowly grew out towards you, pulling you into him. You wanted to question his actions. Be it anyone else and you would have found this strange and pulled back, but it was Kakuzu. The two of you had this...connection you couldn't quite pin point. You trusted him and that's all that mattered. He pulled your back into his chest and slowly brought his arms to entrap you in a warm embrace.

"Wait"

His arms froze, feeling as if he was about to be rejected and began regretting his decision, but that wasn't the case.

You sat up and pulled your own cloak off, causing him to look confused at you. You then pushed yourself further into him and rested back, you looked up to him with a sincere smile of appreciation. He began to zip his cloak around the two of you, to which then he used your cloak to drop over your legs for extra warmth. Your head naturally fell back onto his shoulder with a sigh of content, "Thanks Kuzu~"

He grunted as a a response and held back the small smile that forced itself onto his lips, hidden behind the mask.

"How are you so warm?" you said amazed at how he wasn't covered in chilly goosebumps like yourself.

"5 hearts has its advantages"

You chuckled, nuzzling into the warmth as your eyes grew heavy, finally being able to be comfortable enough to catch a few hours sleep until your watch. You mumbled softly, "Can I steal one? I could get used to this comfort"

Kakuzu has never allowed anyone to get so close to him, especially like this. But with you, something was different. He was at ease. As he felt your breathing even out and heard your light breathing, he quietly whispered, "You already have."