Don't pull away - Sasori

"Why is it that I have to be stuck with the lazy, slow paced brat for a partner" Sasori grew tired of pacing outside your door. He had been waiting for 30 minutes. Orders were to be ready by sunrise and you still were not prepared, no matter how much he warned you to be on time the night before.

"Come on already, you know I don't like to be kept waiting" Agitation grew in Sasori's voice as he begun preparing to open your door to drag you out. But before his hand could touch the handle, the door opened with you zipping your cloak up to your chin, "I know I know, Sasori. Jeez you're always so impatient".

He growled under his breath, walking ahead to the entrance, taking course to your mission towards Iwagakure.

His silent anger could be felt through his puppet, Hiruko. His aura grew with rage with every step through the forest and you couldn't help but feel to be the culprit of this.

Breaking the silence after 2 hours of travel, you moved to his side, "Sasori?"

He didn't even entertain you with a form of acknowledgement. Yet you still continued, "Why is it that you don't like to be kept waiting. I understand no one likes to be 'kept waiting' but, you seem to be more annoyed than the average - -"

His body shot up from Hiruko's back and pushed you against a tree with his forearm pressing on your chest, keeping you firmly there. You stared widely at his wooden features, his eyebrows were furrowed which made his deadened brown eyes look more aggressive than normal.

"Mind your own business and keep those infuriating questions to yourself"

You frowned and pushed your knee up, breaking the contact to save yourself from his grip. After all, as an Akatsuki member you told yourself to never be seen as weak and to never let them push you around.

"I'm your partner and it seems nothing will change that until one of us is dead. So it'd be nice to actually get some understanding of my partner and who he is so I could actually understand him a bit better for future reference".

He was becoming stressed and headed back to his puppet. He spoke up without even looking at you, "Know your place, and it certainly is not in my private life"

"My place is by my partners side in the Akatsuki. Do you rather I ask constant questions until I get an answer? Or ask once and never again?."

He held up a kunai up and turned to side eye you, "You could always ask once more and I will kill you".

You stared emotionless, showing that you don't see Sasori as a threat and calmly spoke, "We both know you won't do that. I am of use to you in these missions. Suppose you did kill me. Then what, would you be alright with being partnered with someone like Tobi instead?"

He sighed, mentally exhausted. If he were human he would roll his eyes at your persistence and also logical comment. He paused, still not looking at you, "Do you have family, [Y/N]?"

The question caught you off guard, bringing you into some memories that you thought you buried deep within you. You were abandoned at such a young age, left to fend for yourself. Trusting no one but only yourself.

You hesitated to answer at first but decided that if you wanted to know something from Sasori, then he should be able to learn something of you as well. You had a family, once. You opened your mouth to speak but Sasori continued his words.

"Imagine waiting for them to come back. Day and night, looking out into the sandy abyss. Awaiting for two silhouettes to emerge and come home as you waited by the door. Every. Single. Day"

Your heart filled with guilt to bring such a personal memory out of Sasori. You instantly regretted asking and began to apologise until he interrupted you again, "Only to be lied to, for years by the one person who was left to care for you. But all they did was cause me to feel so..empty".

You stared, heartbroken, at the back of Sasori's head. You felt so foolish to bring this out of him and all you could do was surprise him with your next actions.

"And what better to create an empty vessel as a body to match the emotions inside" He states looking at his wooden fingers.

Suddenly, he felt your arms wrapped around him from behind. He looked down to see your hands at his chest, holding him tightly, "What are you- - "

This time, you wouldn't let him speak.

"I think whoever lied to you, cared about you greatly enough to lie. They wanted to save you the pain when really, they only brought it on further. But know that as your partner, I will not lie to you, Sasori. I understand now. I'm sorry".

Your head rested lightly between his shoulder blades as you spoke, silently praying for forgiveness at bringing up such a harsh memory for him. It did in fact make you understand him more and mentally tell yourself to be punctual for his sake in future. He's only impatient because he's fearing he will be left alone. The exhale that came out of him brought you to his attention again.

"No one has dared put their arms around me since I was human"

You mentally loathed yourself for breaching his personal space without permission and unlinked your fingers hastily in panic and regret. To your shock, his hand rested on them upon his chest, stopping you.

"Wait, don't pull away... not yet"