CHAPTER I

"Close your eyes Jiwoo," he whispers.

"But what about mom-" he places a hand over my mouth to silence my quivering voice.

He takes off his headphones and places them on my head, blocking out all the screaming and ruckus coming from the other room.

He pulls me to his side tightly, shutting his own eyes as tears stream down his face. I look at the space between the closet doors one more time before following my brother.

JUNG JIWOO

Aaaaah! Not them! Please! No-

I put my earphones on and press play on my phone. The sound of screaming subsides. I let out a deep breath and lay back down.

I don't know how long I stay like that, but I know I'll hear my alarm soon. That means I'll have to get up, leave the comfort of my room, walk out this house and into the fiery pits of sc-

"Fuck," I curse when the alarm blares loudly near my ear. I send a murderous glare at the ringing machine before sighing and turning it off gently. It's not like it did anything wrong.

With another heavy breath, I heave myself up before I reluctantly trudge into the bathroom.

Just like every morning, bathing is hard. It's too loud, she's too loud. Like every morning, I consider using my earphones right then. But again, I think about the amount of money I've spent because of that.

Not that money is a problem for me.

I end up surviving the shower without them, but it doesn't last longer than that. The moment I'm out, they're back on.

I finish getting ready and make my way out of the house. The house is dark and quiet, so I don't look up at all until I slip my shoes on and I'm out of the suffocating space. I lock the doors quickly and force myself to look up at the huge chunk of cement. I shiver at the sight and hurriedly get away, unable to notice the person I'm about to bump into.

"Ow!"

I turn around hastily and grab on anything to keep him upright. Even if it is the collar of his shirt.

"I'm sorry!" I exclaim as I immediately let go. I bow quickly before running off from embarrassment, ignoring his calls. I don't even notice that an earphone falls off until I've reached the entrance to the train station.

My eyes dart across the ground uselessly since I know it probably fell off when I bumped the guy. I pocket the other one with a sigh. Just when classes resume?

I look around the area with distaste as the noise comes back. Who knew a city could be so quiet?

I take off my backpack and search for my spare pair. They're wired, but they'll do.

I plug them in and relax as the noise fades away, making my way down onto the platform.

--

When I see the swarm of students at the gate I get excited because I can hear them from across the street. Still, I take off my earphones cautiously, in case they aren't loud enough, but I end up smiling. I can't hear a thing over the bustle.

I walk slowly, taking in the noises with a breath of relief.

"It's her! Her dad is a murderer, you know? She used to go to my old school so-."

I turn to where the voice comes from and a group of girls behind me jump in fright. The bell rings and they jump once more, the one in the center looking like she might pee herself.