Chapter 3 : 139th Dungeon World

"Kid," asked Grey, curiously. "What are you doing here? And why did those people want to beat you up?"

"I am a monster," said the girl, shaking her head.

"Wait what?" said Grey, incredulously.

Monsters were large animals that could eat people with one bite of their mouths. For this girl to call herself a monster, is this a joke?

She sees the confusion on Grey's face and lifts the hood of her ragged clothes. She pulls back her dirty hair, and on her forehead is a row of scales receding into her hairline. Grey took one step back in surprise.

"I was born with this strange mark on my head. My mother says I was born from a lizard and I have no father. It is only normal for other children to hate me for being a monster."

Grey frowned and shook his head. "That doesn't mean you're a monster."

"Really?" the girl looked at him with a bit of suspicion. If she wasn't a monster then why did everyone treat her so badly?

"You were just born with a weird thing on your head. I have a weird mark on my butt when my mom made me but you would not say I am a monster."

"But that's different!" protested the little girl "No one can see your butt, and a mark isn't as scary as these 'things'."

She rubbed her forehead with her hands. The scales made a strange cracking noise as they brushed up together.

"I'm hideous!"

Grey shook his head in disagreement. "So what if you look a bit strange. Do you hurt people?"

The girl shook her head.

"Do you make growling noises?"

The girl again shook her head.

"Then how are you a monster? You haven't hurt anyone, and you don't act like a monster, that must mean you aren't a monster. Besides, I haven't heard of any monsters can talk human speech. You just a normal person with something on their head. If it bothers you too much than wear a hat."

"But-" the girl injected, unconvinced.

"Girl."

"What?"

"You are a girl."

"Hmph," pouted the girl. Her eyes showed a friendly light. She did not want to admit it, but being called a normal person did make her feel quite good.

Grey looked up to the sky and saw the sun begin to dip into the horizon. It was the afternoon. He should start going back to the village.

"I have to head back to my village soon. You should get home too. My father says dangerous beasts roam the mountain at night."

"Okay," said the girl reluctantly. Her eyes look longingly at Grey. She did not have any romantic feelings for him, but there was something nice about being able to talk to a person normally. In the five years of her life, not one person had spoken to her without a look of disgust or pity. Now, she had for a few seconds, had a normal conversation with someone her age!  

"Will I see you again?"

"Hmm?" murmured Grey, looking at her thoughtfully. "Are you afraid those bullies will come back for revenge? Don't worry I'll send them running again. If you need help. I, Grey, will come to your rescue. I am always here in this spot in the morning. If you call. I'll come find you."

The girl nodded. "Okay, Grey. I will see you tomorrow okay?"

"Okay."

Grey nodded off and walked towards his village.

 ~~~

"Good Heavens. Where have you been son?"

A skinny man leaned over his desk with a quill in hand. His eyes looked anxiously at the stacks of papers to his side. He would write a few sentences, and then take out a stamp, and press red ink insignia before taking out the next paper in the stack

Grey took a seat by a stool and spun around playfully.
"I went training! I said I was going to be a great wizard remember dad?"

"Ah yes, I remember. Did you tell your mother you were going out?"

"Yes, dad."

His father stamped another document and then turned to face Grey. On his face was a large smile.  

"Something incredible has happened today, but before I tell you, you must promise me that you'll listen to everything I say. I know you are young and you like to go out, but this matter is quite serious, even if it is good."

Grey looked blankly at his father. A thing that was serious and good? What did that mean?

"I promise."

"There is a new dungeon! They discovered a new dungeon here on the Yamato Mountain! Now there are 139 Dungeon Worlds on the Endless Continent. The king himself sent his regards to our little village! There will be battalion of knights here in a week!"

"What!" exclaimed Grey. His heart nearly leaped from his chest. Everyone knew how important dungeons where to each nation. A dungeon contained untold riches, minerals, reservoirs of ancient magical derelicts, and ores. The largest dungeon, the Ancient Dungeon of Wischeria, held enough gold ores to build an entire city.  For there to be an untouched dungeon in the middle of nowhere, obviously the king would be interested in securing it for his kingdom!

Not only that, but driven by the prospects of being the first to explore a new dungeon, there would be several adventurers coming to the village as well! Grey might even be able to ask a passing mage to take him in as an apprentice. This was truly joyous news!

"I should!"

"Grey"

"Yes?"

"You are staying indoors. At least till the knights arrive."

"What!"

"No butts. It's dangerous."

"But dad!"

This was a once in a lifetime event. How could Grey stay indoors? Like any child who heard some incredible place, Grey wanted to at least take a look at the entrance of the dungeon. It wasn't like he was going to go in. He wanted to take a look! And it was close by!

"Grey, I know you like to adventure and you said you were going to be a hero. But the world is not a kind place. Not all adventurers are good and with them mucking about so close by I'm afraid some monsters may be spurred out of the dungeon and into the mountain. If that is the case, you absolutely cannot go outside until the knights arrive to maintain order."

His father looked at Grey seriously.

Grey sighed. If there was one person he did not want to offend it was his kind father. His father who carried him on his back, taught him to read, and played with him whenever he felt lonely. Though Grey was young. He did not have much friends since he liked to read lots of books. Who was it that Grey talked to when he had troubles? Who that taught him how to be clever and smart? It was definitely his father.

"Okay, I said I would listen and a man keeps his word." mumbled Grey unhappily.

"Good, but however," said his father, winking at Grey. "If an adventurer comes into the library, I won't stop you from talking to them."

"Dad!"

Grey leaped into his father's arm happily and buried his face in his father's chest.

How could Grey's father not know how much Grey loved heroes? In his father's heart, there was always a soft spot for his son, who wished to go on an adventure. He too when he was younger, dreamed of becoming a hero, and traveling the world, but having  settled in this village his wandering days were now over. Now, simply seeing the joy on his son's face was enough to make him content. When one gets older, their priorities change like the seasons. Who needs to travel the world when one could live happily with a family?

~~~

In the bowels of the earth, fifty miles away, there is a strange gaping hole in the mountain. This hole is not a natural thing but a living breathing entity. A Dungeon World. Darkness crept in from the forest and two shadows made their way carefully to the entrance. The first shadow pulled up a strange device in his hand, and ran his hand across the ground. He brushed away the dirt and brought up chunks of soil to his nose.

"Wet. Warm. This is definitely the dungeon entrance."

"Hurry it up. We can't wait here all night. Scout first. Then retreat so the rest of the group knows what we are up against. Remember not to go in too deep or you won't be able to get out."

The first shadow snapped back angrily. "I know what I am doing. Just shut up and watch."

The man took out a small dagger and moved into edges of the hole. Unlike normal dungeons, the entrance was indeed a vertical shaft, going all the way down into the abyss. The man went down feet first, tying a rope over his waist, and planting an anchor at the edge of the hole. He slide down into the darkness, marking the earthen wall with his dagger every ten feet, until he disappeared from sight.

The other man leaned over to look into the hole. It was so deep, that he could not see the bottom. He sat on the moist grass and waited by the entrance. He took out a piece of wood and a carving knife. Flick. Flick. He carved notches into the wood for every minute that went by. At the sixth notch. There was a deep rumbling beneath his feet and the rope anchored by the entrance was suddenly pulled into the hole.

"I told him not to go in too deep," the man said coldly, standing up. He shook his head and left for the forest. A dungeon powerful enough to trap a veteran rogue? What kind of treasures would lay waiting in such a place? He could only grin softly.

Find Rate