Chapter 10 : Monsters and Men

In the depths of the darkness, there lay a boy and a girl. The darkness was a boding void. A damp wet rock brushed against Grey's cheek and he awoke! Nearly, jumping up in fright, Grey sat upright, his hands searching for something to grab a hold of. The chasm let out a burst of air and the ground itself shook, settling down as it traveled up the darkness. His eyes were blind, but as his hands felt around the rocky ground, the vast expanse of the gorge gradually became clearer, more familiar. His nerves settled, and with it calm collected thoughts replaced fear.

"Where am I?" Grey whispered. In his head there was a throbbing pain. He remembered the fall, the big hole, and Mylene. He searched around and found her hand by his side. He could hear a subtle but quiet breathing. He patted the ground in front of him, afraid he might accidently fall off a ledge, and made his way to her. He felt around, touched something soft and cushiony, and then her face. He lightly slapped her to try to wake her up.

"Mylene," he whispered, "Mylene are you awake?"

Mylene murmured softly in her. "Call off the slaves. Slap that fellow one more time for me, Jason."

"Mylene. Wake up. We can't stay here."

Grey slapped her again harder. This time the slap echoed through the deep chasm.

"Ow! Who dares hurt me so!" Mylene yelled, startled.

"Mylene be quiet," Grey said urgently. Who knows what kind of things lurk in the dark? Monsters or men. Both could be dangerous..

Mylene sat upright and squinted her eyes if in a daze. "Why is it so dark? Who is that talking to me?"

"It is...." Grey said, and then paused. Would it be good to say it was him? She might freak out even more, seeing as he was the one who chased her into this hole. Wasn't there was that one fellow that was with Mylene earlier? His name was....

"It's me, Jason."

"Jason?" said Mylene, confused. "Why does your voice sound so different? Where is that fellow Grey. I so scared then...then something happened."

"There is no time to explain. We are in big danger. We have to get out of here."

"Where are we?" Mylene asked, stupefied.

"I have don't have time. Please....Just follow me."

"Okay."

Grey placed Mylene's hand on his shirt and the two of them crawled on the ground. Grey dared not get up, afraid that the floor might suddenly shake and cause him to fall to his doom. He checked the ground in front of him, patting it down with his hands, before crawling forward. It was a time before he touched what felt like a wall, and following that a strange glowing light. It was a light unlike anything he had ever seen.

It wasn't dazzling like the sun, but had a faint glow, as if it were an ember that was about to go out. It flickered formlessly, a wisp of glowing smoke that rose and fell like a cloud. Not knowing what it was, Grey stopped to take a look at his surroundings. Mylene did the same, groggily wiping her eyes. She looked to the person in front of her and received a great shock!

"Grey!"

Grey turned around and covered her mouth!

"Shush. Don't you see we are in weird and dangerous place. Don't yell." he whispered.

Mylene eyes were fearful. She nodded her head. Grey let his hands drop, and looked at that weird light.

"Do you remember what happened? We fell in a hole. I think we are in that new dungeon my master was talking about so there should be monsters around. If we make too much noise we might get eaten."

Mylene nodded her head. Her hands trembling. Her eyes looking straight at Grey. Grey noticed this and frowned. Was she still afraid of him? Monsters vs. Grey? Grey was more scary? What kind of logic does this girl follow....He sighed.

"Mylene."

"Yes?!"

"I am not going to hurt you."

"You aren't?"

"I am not. And...I'm also very sorry."

Grey bowed his head.

"Eh?!"

Mylene couldn't believe what she was hearing. Why was she being apologized too?

"Why are you apologizing?"

"I did wrong. I promised my master to not make trouble and I did, causing a even bigger mess. If she returns and finds I'm missing. She won't be happy."

Grey could imagine Baylee's face in his head. She had an angry pouting face.

"Stop being so pig-headed!" she would say.

"W-Well if you are really sorry. Then kiss my hand!" said Mylene, holding out her right hand. "And call me master."

This little girl...Grey thought, shaking his head. It wasn't the time for such things. Grey quickly took her hand and kissed it.

"Okay, master. Now, we should think of a way out of here. Or maybe a way to call for help without attracting any monsters."

Grey took a seat by the wall. Mylene stood there and blushed for a moment before sitting down next to him. She didn't think he would actually do it. There was a warm fuzzy feeling in her chest.

"A dungeon huh?" Mylene murmured.

"Yeah," mumbled Grey. His heart was heavy. Would he die here? A kid was no match for even the smallest of creatures, much less a full blown monster.

"Do you think they'll know we are down here? I mean the people back at camp?" Mylene asked.

Grey shook his head. "Maybe, who knows? Even if they do, will they be able to find us? This hole feels very deep. Even if they come down. It's too dark to make out right from left. Much less two kids."

Grey sighed deeply. Mylene looked around her. The walls extended far above their heads, rocky protrusions hanged down from the ceiling like the jaws of some large beast. She looked at the strange light and back to where they came. Both sides were completely pitch black. Hard to say which way was up and which way would go down.

"Even so. Aren't there many adventurer's down here that might help us? I mean they do fight monsters right?"

Grey nodded his head. "Adventurers fight monsters, but how are we going to find them? The chances a monster will find us first are probably higher. They have good smell."

"Then we wait?"

"I don't know..."

Grey's eyes furrowed in deep thought. He had the wind boots on his feet. If they encountered danger he would be able to get away, but what about Mylene? He risked tumbling with her added weight and didn't even know if the boots could carry both of them out of danger. A fast moving monster appeared and they'd be done for! Was there a way to counter a fast moving monster? What about a monster they couldn't see?  It was possible if they stayed here something else might also sneak up on them. If this was the case leaving would definitely be the best choice.

"We should continue going forward very slowly," murmured Grey, after some thought. There were too many things to consider. His head hurt a bit. He should deal with it as it came, rather than think of all the possible scenarios. Heroes were always a lofty folk anyway, striding into danger. He just need to be a bit more careful since he was smaller.

Grey took Mylene by the hand.

"Okay, let's go. Don't get separated."

"Okay," said Mylene, following Grey.

The tunnel grew wider as Grey and Mylene walked deeper until they came to a room made out of marble and granite. Pillars of stone rose from the floor to the ceiling. An inscription read in front of a stone door in front of him in a language he could not read. He looked around at the pillars a bit and pressed his hand upon the door. Surprisingly, it gave way with a little nudge, opening by itself and revealing a row of steps leading down.

Mylene looked down. Her eyes a bit curious. "Do you think it's safe?"

Grey shrugged. "It would take more time to go back. If it goes too far down. We'll head the other way."

Mylene nodded in agreement. The stairways led down, deeper into a cavern. Fireflies glistened in the dark. Their tiny wings beating a musical hymn that filled the air.

"Music?"

"Yes," Grey replied, remembering a book he had read. "It is Dungeon Music. The creatures, sometimes the walls, creak in unison, creating music. There have been several famous musicians who were renown adventurers. Though, it is the first time I have heard Dungeon Music myself."

Grey looked at the fireflies closely, their colors shifting with each note. Truly mysterious.

"Come on, let's keep going."

"Okay."

The stairs stopped at a large room, the ceiling nearly a hundred feet tall. The entire room spun in a clockwise motion. Overhead, arching bridges suspended by chains, crisscrossed massive stone pillars that surged out the floor. A stairway led up from the floor to one of the spinning bridges, and on a faraway platform, thirty feet away, appeared to be a door.

Mylene pointed at the door. "Is that the exit?"

"I think so. Let us see if we can get across."

Grey walked up the stairs to the first spinning bridge. It seemed simply enough. You waited till each bridge aligned itself then made your way over. He stepped on the first bridge and felt the weight of the bridge suddenly shift! It leaned horrendously to one side and Grey was thrown backwards. His feet slipped as it touched the stairs behind him!

"Grey!" Mylene shouted in fear.

Grey grabbed a hold of the edge of the stairs. His feet dangling off the side of a thirty foot drop. His arms strained. He lifted himself back onto the stairs, gasping for breath.

"I-I'm okay," said Grey, getting on his feet. Grey looked with worry on his face. What kind of bridge was that? To look like stone but to swing so violently? As if it were....made of paper?

Grey leaned down and waited for the bridge to come around again. His hands touched the surface of the bridge. It was soft as water! Holy! What was this thing?

The bridge suddenly came to life. Two bright eyes flickered from its corners. It grew in size, a long tail flickering from its end. It was a snake! A large giant snake! It let loose a venomous hiss!

"AHHH!" Grey screamed.

"AHHH!!" screamed Mylene.

The Giant Serpent swung its tail, smashing into the stairway. Grey was thrown into the air by a tremendous force. His boots sent out a gust of wind before he hit the ground. He landed softly on the ground. His hands covering his head in fear.

Still Alive?!

Roar! Two massive fangs lunged forward. Grey ran! The fangs digging into the floor behind him.

"Back up! Back up!"

Mylene dashed back up the stairs. The fireflies scattering out of her way. Grey moved like a flying tornado. The Giant Snake coiling close behind. Grey and Mylene made it past the stone door, but the snake plowed right through it! Breaking everything apart as if were nothing!

It's head struck again, plowing into the wall! Grey looked in front of him with despair! If they ran forward they would be trapped in that perpetual darkness, and wouldn't be able to see in front of them! He looked back at the snake as it wrestled it's head out of the wall. The cavern shook as the serpent pulled out, leaving a hole where it's head had been. Hope!

"Mylene!" Grey yelled, grabbing the girl before she ran any further. "This way!"

He tossed Mylene through the hole and dived right after her as the snake lunged again, ripping apart the ground beneath their feet. His eyes search the new area with purpose. A new tunnel. Another door! Only this one was made out of metal instead of stone.

"Hurry! Run!"

Mylene was too tired to complain. Her breathes had become very heavy. Compared to Grey who had trained all the time. She was already exhausted and followed him blindly, driven by his words. The next set of stairs they nearly tumbled over, running. The voices of other people started to echo throughout the stairway. When Grey and Mylene made it all the way down there was a group of adventurers opening the massive fifty foot door. All three of them pushed with all their might and the door screeched open.

"Well," heaved the blue-haired warrior, panting. "That was something....hmph?"

His battle sense picked up something. He looked back. There were two kid's standing behind him. He rubbed his eyes. Two kids?!

"Yo, my friends. I know I am getting old, but I don't think I'm that old. Tell me but are there two kids by the stairs behind us?"

The mage stood up. His eyes receiving the same surprise. "I don't remember there being mimics this close to an entrance. I know they can do voices, but bodies? Some shenanigans is happening here friends."

The rogue tilted her head. "You silly guys. Can't you tell a kid from a monster. Look, I see them sweating. They are tiny. They look scared. It's a kid. The only question I have is-"

A loud roar came from outside the room. Everyone's eyes were raised in alarm. Grey lifted Mylene over his shoulder and started running. A large snake appeared behind him! Then another! And another!

"Oi! Oi! What the heck!" yelped the warrior. Not one, but six large serpents wrapped around the exit. Their eyes full of hate. Grey looked back. His face paled. They must have been the other bridges in that room! They had all been large snakes, one angry hiss, and all must have woken up at the same time!

"Giant Serpent!" yelled the mage. "No way we can fight all six of them!"

The rogue quickly ran, picked up Grey and Mylene, and heaved them over her shoulder. "Then run you idiots! I got the kids go!"

Everyone ran for their lives! The warrior took up the rear, the mage in front, the rogue with the two kid's in the center. The door had opened up to a long corridor, rocks jutting out on all sides. Warrior dodges right and breaks a piece of rock using his axe, heaving it into the gaping mouth of one of the serpents.

"Sod off you bastard!"

The mage wrestled with his staff. All sorts of diagrams projected in the air around him. Light wrapped around all five of them.

"We are too far in! I can't port us out!"

"Then look for an exit stupid!" shouted the rogue.

"Stop calling me stupid, stupid!"

"Well, if we had a better mag-!"

"Alright shut up!"

The corridor split into three paths!

"Go right!"

The group entered the right passage. Three giant chickens with scale like wings and fiery breathe  stood pecking on the ground. Their eyes turned to look up at the mage.

"Never mind. Go left!"

The group went back left and there were five large trees with vicious looking branches. It's its center was a human shaped face, mouth gaped open in horror.

"Okay! Other way!"

"Danmit Roy!" yelled the rogue, angrily.

"Shut up!"

The last room opened into a wide expanse, a meadow similar to that outside, except the grass was made out of glowing mushrooms. Here another group of adventurers sat down in a circle, eating some food.

"Hey fellows!" shouted the priest, seeing the group enter. "How have you been? We were just talking about the right corri-"

"No time to chat!" shouted the mage heading the tunnel to the right of the adventurers. The top of the tunnel had been marked with an O.

"Yeah, gotta go!" yelled the rogue after him.

"Yeah you guys better start running," bumbled the warrior.

The priest looked at him strangely. "Wait what?"

A loud explosion came from the passage. Six Serpents, Five Howling Willows, and Three Cockatrices burst into the room.

"What the hell!" yelped the priest.

Throughout the dungeon cursing and swearing could be heard as several more adventurers ran from a growing army of monsters. On the third floor, far above the chaos, Baylee, Vernon, and Dane walked down a rock passage.

"Hey did you hear that," whispered Baylee, her ears perking up.

Dane looked around, but shook his head. "I heard nothing.

Vernon nodded in agreement. "Yeah, me neither."

"Ah," mumbled Baylee. "Must have been the wind then."