a measly two inches

It shouldn't have been a big deal to Sam that Bucky was taller than him. In fact, it wasn't a big deal to Sam, no matter what Sarah insisted.

"There is only one thing you men are more sensitive about than your height," Sarah had teased with a knowing smirk, "and that would be y'all's foot size."

Sam had wrinkled his nose in distaste. "Please don't ever speak to me again."

"You are the one living under my roof, Samuel."

Unfortunately, his sister had been right about that, too.

Except no, no, it didn't matter that Bucky was taller than Sam! The difference was a measly two inches, so small it could hardly even be called a 'difference' with total seriousness. And Bucky was yet to boast of this slight advantage he had in height, either, thus reinforcing the fact that it really and truly did not at all matter to Sam that Bucky was the teensiest bit taller than him. Sure, maybe sometimes Sam wanted to be the one who leaned down into a tender kiss, but that wish was not so strong as to be the only thing ever on his mind.

"If that's the case, why can't you stop talking my ear off about it?"

Sam frowned at his sister's irritated tone, though her dramatic eye roll that followed told him Sarah's exasperation was only half-genuine. "Well, since you're always telling the boys you know everything, I figured you'd be the best person to ask for adv—"

"Oh, you hush." Sarah swatted his arm with the kitchen towel. "I don't tell them I know everything. I just remind them that if they have questions, they should come to me before you or Bucky."

Yeah, Sam couldn't blame her for that one. Bucky's knowledge was antiquated at best and Sam no longer bothered to deny how his constant to and fro across the country meant he was oftentimes out the loop. "Okay, well, now I'm the one coming to you with a question. So what should I do? Buy a pair of heels?" He was pretty sure he'd hate wearing them, but Bucky's reaction would inevitably be hilarious. Sam was tempted.

"Hell no, do not waste your paycheck on that." Sarah sighed as she hung the beige towel up beside the sink. "Look, bro. If you're coming to me like AJ and Cass do with a question about people, I'm gonna give you the same answer I always give them. If you got a problem with someone..." She gave him a flat look that immediately clued Sam in to the fact that he was going to hate her advice. "Talk. It. Out."

Sam groaned, leaning back against the wooden cabinets of the kitchen. "You already know Bucky's the quiet and condescending type."

"Who gives a shit? Clearly you're the one with a problem here, not your beau."

Touché.

"Also, you chose to date him."

"Alright, alright," Sam grumbled. "You've made your point."

"Thank you. Now go put all your counselor skills to use and have a talk with your man," Sarah concluded with a shooing gesture. "Oh, also—wake up the boys for me, will you? They're gonna be late for school if they don't get moving."

Sam gave her a mock salute, grinning as Sarah rolled her eyes a second time before turning back towards the eggs she was scrambling on the stove. Knowing such a reaction meant their conversation was over, Sam resigned himself to maybe—maybe—talking to Bucky about his... see, he didn't even know what to call the issue. His height complex? God no, that sounded horrible.

Well, first things first—he needed to wake up the boys.

As Sam headed towards the stairs, he passed a sleepy Bucky emerging from the small half bath, his normal hand covering his mouth as he yawned while the vibranium one scratched his stomach. Sam did his best to ignore the way the latter action made the hem of Bucky's shirt ride up a fraction of an inch.

"Morning," he said, earning a tired nod from Bucky in response as he reached the foot of the stairs, pausing after taking only a few steps up. "Sleep well?"

Bucky nodded again, a content smile tugging at his lips. "Through the whole night."

Sam's chest swelled with pride at the revelation. It had now been—what, a week and a half of restful nights for Bucky? Surely he was verging on a new record. "Hell yeah, man. That's great."

Bucky's little smile became a pleased smirk. "I still think I'd sleep even better in your room—"

Sam laughed. "Sorry, Buck. Not with kids in the house." He glanced at the clock across the hall before taking another step up the stairs. "Speaking of the boys, I need to wake them up before Sarah has my head."

"Oh, wait. I'll come with you."

Sam pretended his heart didn't flutter at the near-insufferable domesticity of the mental image that followed, one of Bucky gently shaking his nephews' shoulders to get them out of bed. Christ. Sam was so whipped.

When Bucky reached the foot of the stairwell, Sam couldn't help but notice the scattered fluffy tufts his partner's hair had developed into throughout the night. Unfairly-attractive bed head, as it were. This casual observation was followed by a more intense thought that hit Sam like a sledgehammer.

He could see the top of Bucky's head. Because, on the stairs, he was taller than Bucky.

Sam didn't consider himself to be an impulsive person—no matter what Bucky said—but at that moment, he threw forethought to the wind. Bucky only had his feet on the first and second steps when Sam leaned down to cup his partner's face with both hands and crash their lips together in a kiss that made fireworks explode in Sam's stomach. Bucky's morning breath wasn't even too bad—rinsed his mouth, maybe?—and Sam soon found himself lost in the warmth of Bucky's lips on his and the firm grip Bucky now had on his hips. Although he sorely regretted the eventual need to pull away for air, Sam had to admit that the dazed, blissful expression on Bucky's face almost made breaking the kiss worth it.

God. Fuck. That settled it. If this was what it was like to kiss Bucky Barnes from above, Sam was going to suck it up and lay everything out to Bucky. Sarah would tease him endlessly, as sisters were wont to do, but damn.

It'd be so worth it.

"What was that for?" Bucky finally murmured, running a hand up and down Sam's side.

Sam smiled as he traced Bucky's bottom lip with his thumb. Ha. "Ask me later. We gotta wake up the boys."

Bucky nodded. He made absolutely no move to continue up the stairs. "Kiss me again, first?"

Well, who was Sam to refuse such a polite request?