II.

FRAYED PUFFS OF AIR expelled past lalisa's lips, mimicking her lumber steps nearing the doorsteps. She scuffled to hold the male's weight with one arm while fumbling the keys inside the lock with trembling digits. better judgment nipped at her mind, prompting that bringing him to her place was absurd, dangerous even.

but his pained rasp back there had her stomach coiling and maybe, if for a few hours, he'd be able to recover and then provide her with a reasonable explanation as to why he was inside her car.

a few hours wouldn't hurt right? after all, he was barely conscious and gushing with blood when she found him. lalisa was certain that if she weren't there, maybe he would have bled to death, and her chest constricted with the sole thought.

"wrap it firmly around the wound--" lalisa pinched both eyebrows, attempting to recall the brief demonstrations of wound tending from when she volunteered at the hospital, and sucked in a harsh breath whenever her fingertips grazed his feverish skin. "--and tape it down. there."

she sighed a breath of relief and surveyed the bandage with a sense of fulfilment before jolting to both feet and sauntering into the kitchen. gathering a few clean cloths, a glass and a bowl of water, she made her way back and plopped into the furthest space on the couch the male was resting on.

expertise fingers dipped the cloth inside the bowl of water, wringing the edges to get rid of the excess, and she leaned forward to dab the material gently against his skin. perspiration moistened his flesh and lalisa noted that his temperature warmed up to a concerning amount. as much as the thought of undressing a stranger stirred her, she plucked a few of his shirt buttons revealing his chest and proceeded to rub the expanse of it while praying he doesn't sneak a hand up her skirt or else she'd have to head butt him. 

thankfully for him and his dosed situation, he wouldn't be subjected to that woe.

in a lesser panicked state, lalisa finally glimpsed his features, trailing her gaze along his carved jaw until it stopped above his parted lips. he was good-looking, she couldn't deny that, but she couldn't help feel like a creep while admiring him in his unconscious state. 

"jesus, get a hold of yourself." she mumbled, downing the glass of water in one gulp; a foolish attempt to quench the thirst crawling up her parched throat. and her mind. 

the last few hours where but a blur as lalisa felt herself ceding to fatigue from the long night shift. body leaning against the cushioned seat and eyes fluttering shut in slow, regulated breaths that lulled her into a deep slumber.

----

"who are you?"

a deep voice pierced her aural and lalisa cursed at the unwelcomed disrupt to her rest before forcing her eyes open to find the brown haired male standing a few meters away from her. very much awake now and with one palm pressed against the bandaged wound. 

"a thank you would have been a good start and i could ask you the same." she murmured, tone dripping with sarcasm, and the male before her arched one eyebrow.

lalisa scrambled to her feet, stretching both arms behind her head, and trudged towards him in calculated steps. surprisingly, she had mustered enough courage to battle his flaring orbs rather that cowering and it seemed to catch him off guard. 

"you don't know me." he mumbled after a minute of silence, urging lalisa to frown in sheer confusion.

"no, but i have the feeling you'll be clarifying it for me."

at her words, the male pursed his lips and sat down. lalisa watched him in disbelief while he rubbed his chin in ponder as if considering the impact of his own words, and shifted her weight from one feet to the other, tapping the sole of her boot impatiently, hoping it would force an answer out of him.

but it didn't. 

"you undressed me." he pointed out instead, tilting his head to peek at his naked chest, and lalisa flushed a deep shade of crimson. 

absentmindedly, she fiddled with her fingers, gazing everywhere else but him. her whole body was hyperaware of his overwhelming presence and a part of her hoped he didn't wake up so soon. shit, she should be glad he didn't die on her but the smouldered intensity of his glare was burning a hole through her and it sent a shiver down her spine.

the kind that makes her teether the edge of insanity and not quite regret bringing a stranger inside her house. 

"yes--" she whispers, clearing her throat. "--to bandage your nasty wound."

his whole body tensed up, as if realization downed on him, and his lips twitched. lalisa blinked, expecting him to flash her a smile because she sure as hell saw him suppressing one, but apparently, he was determined to make her question her own sight as she slumped into the cushioned seat in defeat.

"i think i deserve to at least know your name--" lalisa offered, gesturing to the aid kit and the wet cloths dangling by the edge of her table. "--after all the trouble i went through."

"trouble? you're to serve me."

"excuse me?" she bemused, trying to get past his mysterious farce, and folded both arms over her chest. 

"you're excused." he countered in a taut whisper, mocking her with a tilt of his head. 

no hint of playfulness but yes to a childish approach. great.

lalisa refused to draw back and let him command the situation. she stood up, decreasing the distance between them until her frame towered his sitting one, and jabbed one finger against his ribcage. the exact same spot his wound was and he hissed in pain.

"your name." she murmured under bathed breath and her eyes found his wild, flaring ones. no longer claiming the situation as he pleases. the male before her dithered, grumbling a set of inaudible profanities before reclining back to confront her unwavering stance. 

guess he was in for a surprise after all. 

"jeon jeongguk, son of victor and protector of hoden."