Seven

It doesn't take a fool to understand that I'm not safe here. I know I need to find a way out.

Currently, I've been trying to simply map out the area to find any signs of an exit or any clues. There are back and front entrances but they're heavily guarded to no ones surprise.

I've been exploring for so long that I realize my training session starts in a minute and I'm on the whole other side of headquarters.

I break into a run to get there, weaving through the long and winding hallways which I've managed to navigate pretty well for not being here all that long.

When I arrive, I see everyone else in my unit as well as all the other kids standing before Cole and Rob.
"Nice of you to finally join us," Rob says in a bored and annoyed tone. All I can think to say is a quick sorry before meeting my unit.

"Don't pull that kinda stuff again girl got it? Rob isn't exactly known for being nice," Vida whispers to me, "He only let you off because your somewhat new." I nod in understanding. I'm used to dealing with people like Rob, it won't be an issue for me.

"Ok now that everyone's here, let's begin," Cole starts, walking over to a large assortment of mats spread across the floor. "Today we'll be focusing on combat, in a competitive sort of style." He then points to a wipe off board next to the mats. "Today we'll be determining out first team leaders from these matches."

"You'll be paired with someone else and have to fight without your powers. Winners will become the first team leaders of your units." Rob then walks up besides Cole and continues. "Now you may be wondering what the leaders will do. They are basically second in command under us of course. If anything where to happen to us, they would be in control during OP missions."

Rob then begins to walk up and down the rows of kids, stalking each of us like we are prey. "The team leaders are very important and take great responsibility so if you do end up winning the match and don't think you can handle it, by all means say so, it's not funny business."

At this point, all of the kids have circled the mats on the floor, sizing one another up. Everyone wants power here, it's clear to tell. It occurs to me that maybe by getting team leader, I would get insight on more information to help me escape. Although I know my intentions for the position are much different from all the other kids, it doesn't seem like they want it any less.

"Only the oldest of you will be fighting today. It's only makes sense that way. Wouldn't want a seven year old leading a whole group," Rob seems to find his joke hilarious while the rest of us simply nod in understanding. I wouldn't want any of the littles fighting either.

"Up first," Rob breaks the silent chatter of the kids. "How about... let's see. Let's do Liam and Jeremy."
He says. I turn to Liam to be met with a face of confidence and authority. He can seem timid and impulsive sometimes, but at times like these all I can see is the natural leader in.

Ruby gives Liam a hug, whispering something in his ear that makes him smile before he steps out from our unit.

I scan around the kids to find Jeremy push himself through the crowd. He stands about a foot taller then Liam and I wonder for a moment if Rob did it purposely. I watch Cole to find no emotion in his face at seeing his brother Liam about to fight against Jeremy, but as I glance down at his hands, I find them clenched in fists.

I always wonder what their relationship is like. They seem to always be at each other's necks, but I can sense at times Cole has a protectiveness towards Liam even if he tries to hide it. Cole may seem cold and reserved, but I know he has a soft side to him as I see him trying to mask any form of emotion he has towards this fight.