Part 1

"I can't believe you read this garbage!" Alyssa's coworker held up the book in her hand, staring at it with disgust. "What do you see in books like this, anyways?"

Alyssa sighed, looking up at the book in question. The cover showed a shirtless muscular man holding a busty woman while scowling at the camera, with the title written across the top in bright orange words: "The Alpha's Timid Mate."

"I don't read it for fun." She muttered, reaching up and snatching the book back. Opening the large roller suitcase behind her, she found its place among the hundreds of other werewolf books and put it away carefully.

"Then what is it?" Her coworker asked with a tone of disbelief.

"Research."

"Really? Research? For what? When your werewolf boyfriend shows up out of nowhere? " She let out a derisive snort. "Sure."

"...You don't understand."

She doesn't understand us. The wolf in Alyssa's head spoke up silently.

"That's what I said."

Can we eat her? Her wolf seemed excited by the idea.

"No. You know we can't. You don't even really want to. You're just acting out because you're upset I won't let you watch horror movies any more."

I am not acting out! But since you mentioned it... bring back the horror movies!

"No."

"What are you talking about?" Her coworker frowned; confused by the conversation she could only hear half of.

Turning to her briefly, Alyssa shrugged. "Sorry, I'm just having a small discussion. I'll be free to talk shortly."

"Don't bother." The girl walked away, whispering under her breath. "Freak."

Should have just eaten her.

"Wolves don't even eat people. Stop pretending."

How do you know? Maybe WEREwolves DO eat people! You have no clue! You haven't found a pack yet. Even though you PROMISED!

"I know, I know." Alyssa rubbed her forehead tiredly. "It's harder than I thought it would be."

I'm lonely and bored! I want to go run! I want a pack!

"Anything else, Your Highness? A bone on a silver platter?"

The wolf paused at that, pouting quietly ... I'm hungry. Feed us something tasty.

"That I can do. We'll eat on our lunch break."

Steak?

"...We'll see."

As her wolf silently cheered, the door to the bookstore she was tending opened. A strange smell reached her nose. Mint and pine along with another scent she couldn't quite place.

Alyssa looked up and was startled. The man who walked in looked like he had stepped off the cover of one of her werewolf books. Muscular, handsome... his brown hair just long enough to frame his green eyes. And tall... Alyssa had always known she was short, but never felt quite so at a disadvantage height wise as she did at the man's approach.

He looks like the lead from book #298. Her wolf suggested in an interested tone.

"I was thinking book #645, but I see your point."

Why do you think he's here?

"I don't know."

As he moved closer, his gaze meeting her own, Alyssa stepped back, the sound of her wolf's growl filling her mind.

HE'S A WEREWOLF! ... even better, he smells strong... an ALPHA? QUICK, MATE HIM!

An alpha? Crap. Alyssa had done enough research to know that was bad news. "Look here, Missy, I am not assaulting some stranger just because..."

Then let's switch over to wolf so I can do it!

"No!"

"Excuse me..." The man spoke up, his voice hesitant and trailing off.

Alyssa turned and hurried out the back. Passing through the bookshelves, she heard someone following close behind, and picked up the pace. The door squeaked loudly as she forced it open, slamming against the wall as she broke out into a run towards the back alley.

"Wait!" The man's voice called out.

Seeing that they were now alone, she stopped in her tracks, and turned, more irritated than nervous. "What?"

"..." He seemed thrown off by her sudden change, but shook his head, studying her closely. The man seemed to recognize something, and moved quickly to stand next to her. "You're..." His eyes widened, and he reached out to grab her arm. "A werewolf? My mate?!"

YES! I knew it! Her wolf's scream of excitement echoed in her mind.

Alyssa sighed tiredly, reaching into her bag. "Well, crap."