Part 9

Alyssa had never been in a fight before. At least not with other wolves.

Don't worry, I got this. Her wolf took over and leapt at the nearest attacker. Gary and Bridget were to either side of her, their much larger wolves defending her flank.

"There's a lot of them, but I think we've got control." Gary communicated calmly, his frantic attacks never slowing.

"They seem disorganized. " Bridgett's silent voice conveyed her disapproval. "Did they come here just to die?"

As her wolf continued to fight, leaping nimbly in between the snarling wolves, Alyssa studied her surroundings.

This is too easy. They're injured... starving... what have they been doing in their territory?

Her wolf had no sympathy. Bad alphas make bad packs.

She looked around in the chaos. Everywhere she looked wolves were snapping at each other. Blood stained the cold ground, being trampled into the dirt, churning it into mud. Howls and whines of pain filled the air.

"I don't see him." She communicated to the other pack members.

"Who"? Gary trampled his enemy into the mud, his jaw locking on the throat of the other wolf. "Lewis?"

"No. Benjamin. I don't sense an Alpha in this group. Shouldn't he be larger or stronger than the rest? Where is he?"

"Maybe the Southern Sector? An Alpha fight?"

"No." Alyssa's mind was racing. "He doesn't seem like the type to respect Lewis enough to fight him head on. 64% of the stories show the villain attempting some sort of sneak attack. The South Sector was a distraction... and so is this. They sent their weaker, injured members to fight us."

That means....

She took off for the main house.

Alyssa! Bridgett called out. Where are you going?

To where the real fight is.

She crashed into the house, skidding to a halt at the sight of Lewis and his mother.

No... it's not Lewis.Their faces were very similar, but everything else was wrong: his scent, his expression, his posture.

He smells dangerous... aggressive... Her wolf complained. He's everything our mate isn't.

I don't like him.

Me either... he's scary.

We should be careful.

She kept a defensive posture, her hackles raised, her teeth bared.

Benjamin looked down at her with a mocking smile. "Ah. The princess is finally here!"

His mother glared at him, holding a gun in her hand. To Alyssa's shock there were already two large wolf bodies on the floor, cooling blood spilling from multiple bullet wounds. "Don't you look at her, Ben! You came here for me."

"It's Nightfang now, Mother." Ben laughed. "And you can't tell me what to do. Not anymore. You lost that right when you betrayed me to side with my weak brother."