Part 5

Alyssa felt increasingly nervous the closer they got to pack territory.

I think we're almost there. This area smells different.

"Different how?"

It smells like our mate! I like it!

"Hmm... Do you think he pees on trees to mark his territory?"

Isn't that normal?

"It's normal for wolves... do you think he does it in human form too?"

"I DON'T MARK TERRITORY AS A HUMAN!" Lewis spoke out frantically. "Can you stop talking about me like I'm not here?!"

She turned to him, curious by his reaction. "Don't you talk to your wolf?"

"All the time, but I do it SILENTLY!" He paused. "Do you not know how to?"

"Oh I know how to, I just think it's really rude to leave her out of the general conversation. She's here too you know."

"That makes sense... I guess..." He sighed, rubbing a hand through his hair. "Well, I assume you know since you were commenting on the scent markings, but yes, we're in pack territory. "

Alyssa nodded, her heart rate increasing slightly. She didn't like this. Going to unfamiliar places. Meeting new people. Especially people who may have a culture or rules that she didn't understand. They might not like her.

How could they not love us? We're a strong, beautiful female... at least when we're in wolf form.

"Hey!"

We'll be just fine.

"I hope so." She took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves.

A warm hand hesitantly grasped her own. She felt an electric shock traveling up her fingers from the touch, but kept her face expressionless. "Are you okay?" Lewis's voice was quiet, a comforting sound.

I like his voice. His touch his very warm!

"If you're worried... I know that you might not believe me, but the pack is very friendly. You'll feel very welcome."

"In 42% of the books the pack is welcoming to a stranger... usually because she's the alpha's mate. In the rest they are either wary of the unknown person, or distrustful or unfriendly. " She thought it over. "I guess it's not bad odds."

The car came to a stop. Lewis squeezed her hand one last time, and then stepped out, getting her suitcases from the trunk and back seat. Alyssa stared down at her now empty hand, feeling frustrated.

I trust him.

"You trust everyone. It's my job to keep us safe." She got out of the car, staring around at the area. There were several nice houses, all scattered far from each other. The place was quiet, peaceful, surrounded by woods. She liked it.

He won't hurt us. He can't. It would be like hurting himself.

"You'd be surprised how low people can sink if they want."

No I wouldn't. I lived through all the same experiences with you. But wolves do better with a family. We'll do better with a pack.

"I haven't agreed to that yet."

We'll see.

Lewis carried her many bags without seeming stressed by the weight. "I'll bring these into the main house. Do you want to come along? Or you can wait here, I can show you around after I drop off your things."