03

"What's wrong?" I asked as my brother stalked his way towards the benches. He had just tried to talk to Scott, but he was brushed off.

"Dad got the fiber analysis back. It's a wolf."

My eyes widened in shock and I stared at my brother. "But wolves left Beacon Hills years ago. How would that be possible?"

"I don't know." He grumbled angrily, getting up from the bench and walking towards the sidelines. Everyone cheered as Scott played but my brother. I walked towards him, elbowing him slightly.

"Why are you so stressed? What's the big deal about wolves finding their way back here?"

"Look at Scott, Nina. You think he can do that on his own?" His voice raised slightly before he backed off apologetically.

"You're not seriously suggesting-"

"I don't know. But I'm gonna find out."

"Stiles wait!" It was too late. He was already jogging to his car, mind obviously on a mission. "But you were my ride home."

***

"Um, I don't really know ..." I trailed, looking around for anyone to help. Unfortunately, no one was around to spare me of Lydia's insistence.

"You're Scott's little sister right?" Lydia said, looping her arm around mine.

"No, uh I'm actually Stiles' sister. Scott and I are just-"

"Right. Well, they're coming to the party today along with practically everyone else so we can just take you straight there. You can even borrow some of my clothes. Look cute, maybe meet a new guy..." Lydia said, giving me a pointed look and I knew there was no way out of this.

"What Lydia wants, Lydia gets. Just get in the car Nancy." Jackson said, sliding his seat forward and gesturing towards the back.

"It's Nina." Lydia said, crinkling her nose at me before getting into the car herself. I could tell this night was not going to be fun.

***

I stood in a far corner as more people arrived, arms gathered in front of my chest. Despite my protest, Lydia put me in a little black dress with a rounded scoop neckline that showed off more than it probably should. She gave me black heels to match and squealed when I was able to walk in them.

Heels weren't a problem for me. When I much younger, right after my mom passed I would steal her clothes to feel closer to her. She had a favorite pair of heels she said I would wear to prom one day and I wore them everywhere for a month straight. I learned how to properly walk just to feel closer to her.

But right now I felt closer to hell than anything because of how short the dress was. My eyes burned with the mascara that Lydia slabbed on me but I still kept them wide open in order to avoid Scott and Stiles.

"That tastes terrible."

Oh gosh. I spotted Scott laughing with Allison as he led her to the dance floor. I side stepped and scurried towards the other corner where I hoped he couldn't see me.

"Nina?" I heard to my right, and turned fully. The knots in my stomach loosened when I finally saw someone I knew.

"Harley. Hi. How are you?"

"I'm a little drunk so great!" She said as she took my hand and spun me around in a circle. "I can't believe little miss perfect is at a party."

"I was dragged." I laughed, accepting her half empty solo cup. She gave me a nod and I hesitantly took a sip. I winced, "He's right that is terrible."