Part 21: New Order (few weeks later)

Over the next few weeks, our lives have changed drastically. Adam and I could finally relax as we didn't feel threatened by someone trying to break off our relationship.

We spent all the recesses at school together and the weekends either at my parents' house or at his. At first, he was sneaking into my room at night, and we thought it was our little secret, but after the second week, my dad told me Adam can come in the daytime and spend a night. It surprised me a lot that my dad suggested that since he didn't seem to even like Adam, but I was happy that he was at least so open-minded about it. I guess they have just started on a bad note, and my dad just needed more time to get to know him.

My mom, on the other hand, adored Adam. He made a point of having some small conversation with her every time he came over, and she seemed to really like that. Well, he was polite and very good-looking. There was nothing not to like about Adam.

The only thing my mom mentioned over and over again was that she didn't understand how someone like Brigitte could raise a good son like Adam. It always brought a smile to my lips, remembering our conversation in the car the other day.

I learned Brigitte wasn't that bad. Whenever I visited Adam's home, she was happy to see me and always pulled me in for a big hug. The first time I was there, she showed me around the house and told me I can help myself or ask their maid if I needed anything. She really made me feel welcome from the start, which I appreciated sincerely. She was very different from my mom.

My mom was the one who did most of the house chores in our house. She stopped working for a few years after I was born, but after I started attending elementary school, she started helping my dad mainly with finances and organizing a few yearly events in our pack.

Brigitte, on the other hand, didn't do any house chores but always made herself busy going out with her friends or just lounging on one of the loungers around the pool they had in their backyard. Things were certainly more relaxed over here. My mom wouldn't approve of their ways, but I tried to keep an open mind about it and just appreciate her hospitality.

If Adam was called by his father for some pack issue while I was there, Brigitte would ask me to hang out with her or even take me into town for shopping and lunch. I liked hanging out with her a lot because she was just so much fun. She had a vibe of a big sister rather than a mother-in-law.

His father, on the other hand, was a completely different story. He was always cold and only spoke when he really needed to. I still felt intimidated by his icy-cold stare.

When I came to their house for the first time, I felt the need to apologize to him for the first two times we had met. He just nodded in response. I thought I saw a small smile in the corner of his lips, but I wasn't very sure if it was real or had I only imagined it. He was strictly formal to me, and I just couldn't make any conversation with him. Adam told me not to worry because he was like that with everyone.

As for Adam and I, we just couldn't get enough of each other. We were touching and holding hands whenever we could, and when we were alone, the mutual attraction and temptation were just too great for us to hold back our desires. We didn't really see any point in holding back, and things between us were better than ever.

One time at school, a group of four human girls approached me after a class and shyly asked me what my secret was. I didn't understand at first, but then they explained there was a big bet going on about how long it will take before Adam dumped me. Most of the bets were for one week, some of them two, but no one bet on more than three. Meaning everyone thought Adam would dump me after sleeping with me.

At first, I was mad and asked them if that was what he was doing before me, but they said he was never really seen with anyone before, that there were only rumors. I had already accepted the thought that he may have been with someone before me because I knew I was the only one who mattered to him now.

I couldn't exactly tell those girls that we were mates, so I only said he will never dump me because we are meant to be. I knew I sounded the most naive girl in the world, but there was just no way to explain our bond to humans. I added we are deeply in love, and we were going to move in together after we both finished high school, hoping they would understand our commitment to each other. They were only giving me incredulous looks but didn't ask me any further.

Another big change since our fathers' meeting was that Adam and I both became very busy, as we had to dedicate most of our after-school free time to pack matters. Our fathers insisted that we participated in the talks and negotiations with other packs since we were the main reason for our two packs' newly formed alliance.

Other packs' Alphas wanted to meet us, so our fathers had to teach us not only all there was to know about every pack in the country but also about strategies we could take to get them on our side. The most important thing to emphasize was that both our packs combined were super strong, and any other pack would surely want to be on the side of the winners: our side. There were currently thirteen packs in our country, and we hoped to get five more on our side. Most probably, some packs won't take any side at all, so if we had seven packs in our alliance, including us, we would have a strong majority. Having the majority also meant safety, as no other pack would dare to attack us.

Our fathers first invited some of their traditional allies for talk, hoping to get some of them on their side. But that wasn't as easy as it sounded because some of Dragon Claw's old allies were the enemies of Knight's Blood and vice versa.

The first ones to arrive were Alpha Warren and Alpha Jonas, both old friends of my father. The meeting with my father went well, but as soon as Alpha Christian and Adam arrived, they became hostile and were reluctant to make a deal. They did not want to make any decision on the spot but promised to at least consider it.

The next one was Alpha Quentin, a distant relative of my dad, but our packs weren't very close. They were from a remote region and tended to stay out of other packs' businesses. Their goal was to live in peace within their own pack and not get involved with anything else. I personally liked their way of thinking, but I still wished they would join our alliance for our and also their safety.

As expected, Alpha Quentin listened to our side of the story but asked to give him more time to decide. He probably thought it was a good idea to postpone any decision for as long as he could.

Alpha Christian decided to gather all of his allies at the celebration for Adam's eighteen's birthday party. I didn't like the idea that he used Adam's birthday for his meetings. Still, I didn't say anything because I was trying to get used to the idea of sacrificing ourselves for packs' sake. When we became Alphas, we will always have to put pack matters before us.

*Sorry for a bit shorter chapter and almost no action. It was initially much longer, but I had to split it in half. So please hold on, stay calm and keep reading! I promise the story will get more exciting in the next chapter! ;)

**Here's one song for all who might complain about all the rock, metal, and punk songs here.

The video of this song has a birthday theme and I thought it would fit nicely here. I imagine Adam as a lonely boy and then Julianna comes along and he is not lonely anymore... Just watch the video below, you'll see! :D