27 | S E N T E N C E D

"ANASTASIA VOINESCU, born on March 3, 1975 in Cincșor, Transylvania, Romania. Correct?"

   "Yes, sir."

   "You have to face the Wizengamot today, June 21, 1998, for the crimes of murder in several cases during the years of 1989 to 1998."

   There was a silence hanging heavy over the whole room, and Ana didn't dare to break it, as she stared up into the stern face of Kingsley Shaklebolt without blinking.

   "Is there anything you or your counsel has to say about those accusations?"

   Ana remained silent, as she had been taught, when a young man with red curls and thick black rimmed glasses stepped in front of the Wizengamot, covering Ana.

   "Percy Ignatius Weasley", the redhead said, "born August 22, 1976, counsel of Miss Voinescu." Shaklebolt nodded, signing Percy to proceed. "My client and I declare her  guilty as charged."

   There was a muttering and whispers spreading through the hall, and Ana looked down at her own hands folded on her thighs to not have to lock eyes with anyone.

   "Though having committed said crimes, in the light of Miss Voinescu's condition, we're asking you to consider mitigating circumstances", Percy continued, his voice firm. "Not only had Miss Voinescu been suffering from an Obscurus for several years, also had wrong treatment of the parasite led to a serious malfunction of not only her magical abilities, but also caused her physical and mental harm. Miss Voinescu, still and all, had gone through several examinations at the St Mungo Hospital. However, none of the healers could proof that the Obscurus had ever left Miss Voinescu's body before May 2, 1998. It is likely that Miss Voinescu's crimes had been based on the Obscurus orders over her own mind, that after being harmed due to former examinations led by Albus Dumbledore, was unable to control. Therefore, we need to take in consideration to lower Miss Voinescu's sentence to a minimum."

   "Furthermore, Miss Voinescu had proven her loyality even before the fall of He, who must not be named, also before she was ripped of her abilities by the hands of You-Know-Who. This night, the night of May 2, 1998, Miss Voinescu had not only saved my life and the life of my brother Frederick, but had also been willing to sacrifice herself to save my brother Charles' life. Her noble actions had been distracted the Dark Lord long enough for Harry Potter to act. My proposition", Percy spoke into the silence, "therefore is to end Miss Voinescu's sentence as soon as possible, at the latest by the end of this year, as for the Obscurus having finally left her, she's no longer posing danger. Miss Voinescu is also offering our community her knowledge and help to find out a cure for Obscurials, as she had proven that the parasite is no longer a death knell."

   As Percy ended his speech, Ana finally dared to look up, eyes locking with Kingsley Shaklebolt's.

   "Thank you, Mr. Weasley", the minister of magic said in his deep and calm voice. "Miss Voinescu, is there anything left you might want to say."

   Ana took a shaky breath, then slowly nodding, she got out of her seat.

   "I didn't want any of this to happen", she said. "Though I cannot deny the things that I have done, and words will never mend the harm and pain I caused so many people, I am sorry. I will take any sentence that the Wizengamot will decide for, and I will use the years for atonement."

   "The Wizengamot will consult about your case", said Shaklebolt, waving his wand and the sound coming from the stands died. Ana watched the Wizengamot's members' lips moving, but the room remained silent.

   Percy stepped closer to her.

   "I think your chances of commutation aren't that bad", he whispered at her. "After all, they cannot lock you away for forever."

   Ana briefly nodded. Even though the Dementors had been removed as Azkaban's guards, it wasn't a pleasant place. She had spent the last two month in there until today, the date of her trial, and she wasn't keen on returning to this place for the rest of her life. But after all she had done, with all the blood on her hands, she knew she would deserve it.

   "The Wizengamot has decided", the minister's voice suddenly sounded from the stands, "that Miss Voinescu's sentence will end with June 30, 1998."

   Ana's heart exploded in her chest. That was just nine days!

   "We agree with Mr. Weasley that Miss Voinescu didn't act out of her own cruelty when the crimes she's to face the Wizengamot for had beem committed. We see at as you, Mr. Weasley, that the advantages for our medical studies based on Miss Voinescu's experiences are a precious good to the wizarding world. Miss Voinescu will be allowed to leave Azkaban as a free woman's by the morning of the last day of June as a free woman." He smiled down at Ana. "We're looking forward to a collaboration with you, Anastasia."

   His hammer landed on the table, and Ana couldn't have held back a relieved smile if she had wanted to.

   As she left the court with Percy, she immediately flung her arms around his neck, kissing his cheek.

   "You're a genius, Percy!", she said, half-laughing. Never in her life had she been this light-hearted. Not even the security guards coming for her could dim her mood.

   "Don't eat too much in jail the upcoming days", said Percy, "because Mum will probably cook a meal for a whole Quidditch team for you the day you get out."

   As the guards grabbed Ana's wrists, she still beamed. "Send her my regards", she said. "I'm really looking forward to finally meet her in a brighter place than last time."

   She was lead down the corridor, and into the atrium, getting ready to disapparate along with the guards for her last gloomy days ...

   "Ana!"

   Steps echoed from the walls around them, and Ana turned her neck to see Charlie rushing at them.

   "I'm sorry I didn't make it in time", he said, "but you wouldn't guess! Rosie is hatching! Four eggs even bigger that Hagrid's head!" As he watched Ana grinning at those wonderful news, he sheepishly rubbed his neck. "So ... how long —"

   "Nine", she said.

   "Years?!" Charlie looked close to fainting, and out of the corner of her eyes she could see the guards lips twitch in amusement.

   "No, days!", she replied, laughing.

   Charlie's eyes widened, then he crossed the distance between the two of them, cupping Ana's face in his large hands, his face lowering, until he could place his lips on hers.

   "That is gorgeous!", he exclaimed, her face still resting in his gentle touch. "I can't wait for a future with you."

   "Oh, but you have to", she sighed, and his face dropped. Then she smirked. "But only for nine days." The guards were clearing their throat, and reluctantly, Charlie removed his hands from her face. "See you soon, Charlie Weasley." And with a last wink at him, she was gone with a loud crack.

•✧

— THE END —