12 | A T T A C K

"I WILL LEAVE."

   Charlie looked up from his meal, the beans on his fork fell back onto the plate. He stared at Ana, who hadn't touched her food even once. Instead she glared back at him out of amber eyes.

   "Why would you do that?"

   Ana blinked. She hadn't expected this. Instead she had predicted him to complain, trying to stop her, talking this idea out of her. But he didn't.

   To his question she had an answer, but she would never tell him. How could she explain this odd feeling to him, if she couldn't even explain it to herself?

   Charlie awoke the strangest feelings in her; feelings she hadn't felt in a long while, and also feelings she forgot she was capable of. The regret towards her crimes, or even the fact that she considered them as crimes, while they for all those years had seemed so righteous to her, lead to an unpleasant confusion she just couldn't get rid of, no matter how much she tried to distract herself.

   And all of a sudden, there was fear. A throbbing feeling of anxiety that Ana wouldn't even want to explain. It was overwhelming her in the nights, and it had nothing to do with the roaring dragons outside, their growls echoing from the forests surrounding them. No, it always washed over her whenever she awoke, and her first thought didn't land on her hate towards humanity as it used to over all those years; it didn't wander to the pleasant feeling of solitude, or to the knowledge that no human being, whether muggle or wizard, nor any magical creature, would ever dare to disturb her peace. Whenever she awoke at four in the morning in this cold October nights, and a bird was singing his song in front of her window, her mind jumped, and her heart skipped a beat, everytime it landed on Charlie Weasley, and wouldn't leave him until she fell back asleep by the end of the day, just to meet him again in her dreams.

   "I'm not made for this", Ana muttered, and it took her a second to realise that she'd spoken this thought out loud. She blinked at Charlie, who was still staring back at her, the empty fork half lifted, his head tilted slightly to the right. "I need my solitude. I am not made to live with humans. There's a reason I chose the life I live, and this place here is reminding me of this reason daily. You can't be trusted."

   Charlie placed the fork back on his plate, looking concerned now. "I understand", he said, and again his reply surprised Ana. "But I think you shouldn't return to your home. They for sure are awaiting you there, now that they landed a strike. I fear the Death Eaters will attack you again."

   "Shall they try", Ana whispered, eyes narrowed. "They won't get me, and I will make sure they will never try again."

   "Though I would sleep a lot better at night, knowing you're safe", Charlie said.

   There was a twist in Ana's stomach, as she still couldn't take her eyes off of Charlie. She definitely had to leave.

   "Wanna tell Rosie goodbye?", Charlie asked, picking up his fork again and went on eating, as if Ana hadn't just announced anything. No matter how much Ana tried, she just didn't get what was going on Charlie's mind. But obviously it wasn't Ana, and with a small jolt of disappointment, she realised he didn't care if she was here or not. All he wanted was her to fight his stupid war, but as she had disagreed several times, she no longer was important for the handsome dragon tamer.

   "No", she coldly replied. "I will wait for Ezra to return from his stroll, then I will leave." She made a short pause. "The sooner the better."

   "Fine, but she will definitely miss you. She trusts you, you know? And —"

   But his words were swallowed by an ear piercing roar from the forest, and Charlie was on his feet within seconds. Another roar hollowed through the night, and soon it was a choir; roars and human yells mixed, and suddenly the nightsky was enlightened by fire and flashes of lights.

   "What is going on?", Ana asked, jumping up as well, rushing over to the window, where Charlie was already standing.

   If Ana had to imagine the apocalypse, this was exactly what it would look like in her mind. Fire bursted out of the forest, trees had been enflamed, people were rushing towards it, sparks rose high into the sky, and still the noises exploded in Ana's ears, as she watched the devastating scene.

   "Dementors", Charlie hissed, and as he said it, Ana spotted them herself. High above the tree tops, so the sparks couldn't reach them, a dozen black hooded figures floated through the nightsky, enlightened by a pale full moon above and the flames beyond them.

   "What are Dementors doing here?", Ana asked, watching Charlie rush through the room and aiming for his shoes.

   "I have no bloody idea", he growled, as he quickly slipped into the shoes, then snatched his wand from a shelf next to him. "But they're scaring the dragons." His hand met the door handle. "Stay here", Charlie told her, throwing her a quick gaze, before he stepped through the door, slamming it shut behind him.

   Startled, Ana stared at the door, as another roar, louder and more agonizing than any of the others, tore the night, and her blood froze. It was Rosie.

   And hell would Ana do, staying here in this small apartment just to watch the world outside burning. Through the window she could see the first dragons rise into the starry skies and flee, their chains broken. But Rosie couldn't fly away, her wing was still not fully healed.

   Ana didn't even take the time to get her shoes. She ran for the door and tore it open, stepping out into the enflamed night, her eyes glowing like rubies, determined to safe what she loved.

 •✧•