Chapter 3 - Jason

Last night after closing the studio, Liv and I completed the profiles for the dating app she suggested. I'm going to try to veto as many choices as I can, especially if they are from the app. I should've known that Kyle was going to set up coffee with Jason whether I agreed or not. Kyle is excited that I agreed to dating again that he would've found a way too make it seem like a coincidence if I didn't agree to a date with Jason or Lucas. But that's ok, I'm hoping if I managed a few dates this week they'll drop it or forget about it as next week we're going full on wedding planning mode as Liv and Kyle have lost their minds and think that a wedding can be planned in less than 2 months. So the guys have an appointment for suits first next week and I'm being dragged along to make sure that they look presentable. Or as Liv said stick to the wedding colors that are still to be determined but knowing Liv she is going to go for a softer pink or blue color.

As I enter the small cafe, with a quick glance at the clock I note that it's 9:45 am, and I know I'm 15 minutes early but my nerves got the better of me and I needed to be here early. I grabbed a table by the door and stare at my phone. Why does this make me nerves? I shouldn't be, because I've met Jason before. I keep scrolling aimlessly through the feed, not really paying attention to what I'm scrolling through. I just need to keep busy doing something. I know I'm going to make a fool of myself either by saying or doing something stupid. This is why I don't date, I don't like this uneasy jitters before the date. So many things can go wrong and my brain zeros in on those. Breathe in. Breathe out. Just relax, I got this, its just coffee with a mutual friend.

"Lauren?" He ask softly as he approaches the table. I look up from my phone and smile. "Or do your prefer Ren? I've never been able to ask which you prefer."

"You can call me Ren, I mean everyone else does. But it's nice to see you again, Jason."

"Thank you for joining me for coffee. Have you ordered yet?"

"No, I just sat down a few minutes before you showed up. I didn't expect you to be here this early."

He chuckles and shrugs, "Well Kyle warned me that you tend to get places 10-15 minutes early so I was hoping to beat you here. But I had to return a client's call."

"Kyle mentioned you own a business. What type of business is it?"

"I own the new tattoo parlor in the Arts District. Do you still do photography?"

"Yes, I actually own a studio across the street." I point over to the small building

"So would you like a coffee and muffin?"

"Please that would be great. The cashier actually knows my order," I give him smile that he returns. Watching as he heads over to the counter to plase the order. The cashier recognizes me with a little wave when Jason pointed over towards our table. Thankfully so as I don't have to explain that I don't drink coffee or make him feel awkward about it because for someone reason as everyone always thinks there is something wrong with me for not liking coffee. But over the past year since this coffee shop has opened, I have been coming over to get out of the studio at lunch for a hot chocolate and muffin which has lead the entire staff here to know me and my order. They know I'm a sucker for hot choloate and a blueberry muffin. After grabbing the 2 plated up muffins, Jason walks back over to the table and set them down, folding himself into the chair across from me. We manage to make some small talk about Kyle and Liv's upcoming wedding, I learn that Jason has officially been asked to be one of the groomsmen.

"Thank you," I reach as the barista hands over my cup.

"Thanks," Jason smiles as he reaches for his. "That doesn't look like coffee."

"Well it's not, it's actually hot chocolate."

"Next time I will have to try their hot chocolate then."