Chapter 1

"Miss Mckilen, please. Pay attention!" My teacher, Mrs. Milos's voice snapped me back to reality. My head had been resting on my hands, my eyes partially closed. I had no clue how Milos had seen that far back into the rows and rows of students' desks. Beats me. I subconsciously allowed my thoughts to roam back to 'The Book,' but after receiving murderous glares from both Destiny and Jesse, I snapped back into the mentality of school like a rubber band.  I loved the two of them, I really did. It's just I'd wish that they'd be a little nicer after I'd told them why I couldn't stop thinking of it. 

"Des, Jes, I need to tell you something," I said in the safety of our treehouse one evening a week after school had started up again.

"Those nicknames rhyme horribly Angie, but go on." the shorter boy said, smiling at me.

"I- I..."  I stuttered, not knowing where to begin.

"If you're going to admit your undying love for Jes, I suggest you don't do it, Angie," Destiny said, smirking at me.

"Des!" Jesse said, almost screeching.

"Jesse's gay remember!?" I screech. 

"So is Angie!" Jes yells. Destiny burst into laughter. Jesse turns to me. "Hurry and say it before she starts again." 

"I've... kinda... been hearing voices for the past few weeks. About the book."  I say seriously. My closest friends both shut up and turn to look at me.

I sigh and put my head back against my palms. I jump as a breath caresses my ear.

"Open it, before it's too late."

I wanted to scream wait, but I was in the middle of the class. The voice floats away before I can turn and look at it. Recently, it's been the same female voice again and again. 

Suddenly, a crumpled piece of paper hits my leg, which was expected. I reach down and pick it up. You okay Angie? It read, scrawled in Jess's messy handwriting. I turn to look at the brown-haired boy and nod slightly. He frowns, but doesn't do anything ridiculous and drops it. Destiny meets my glare with a smirk and I flip her off from under my desk. The bell interrupts us, and I rush to stand up and walk over to Des, who was standing next to Jesse. Jesse was staring at football captain Myles Bell, with his face red. 

"Oooh," I say under my breath as I walk over. I knew Jess heard me because his face got redder. 

"Shut it, Amy." I snort at the nickname. When we were younger, like five years old, Jesse couldn't say Angela, nor Angie, so much to my annoyance, he called me Amy. 

"Stop squabbling you two- Oh Jess, look up!" the last part was a whisper. Myles Bell had just turned from his friends, more like minions, and began walking over.  

"Aye, Jesse Ember, right?" Jess nods. "Wanna hang after school?" Jesse nods again. "Cya," Myles says, grinning as he walks back to his minions. Jesse's face looked like a beetroot. I snicker, and he karate chops my arm. 

"Wanna fight, nerd?" 

"Way ahead of you, slowpoke."

"I'm not a Pokemon, Ash Kechump." Jesse suddenly starts laughing, which gets me laughing. 

"Kechump?" Des asks, confused. "Wait.... ohhhh! I get it. You're calling them a chump." I bend over and continue laughing. Jess leans against the table, doubled over, giggling. 

Suddenly, I notice a shadow looming over us midgets. "Sup, freaks."