Chapter 27

Ridge and I chose to be isolated together. It wasn't a hard choice for us because I think we both realized that we most likely were not infected. It was just a precaution that we were here. I didn't have any cuts on me and Ridge's was covered, but the bandages were changed just to be on the extra cautious side.

"You know the drill," Ryan said as we all sat in the living room before we were sent up to our rooms, "I'll be coming up with Lila every hour to take temperatures and see how you are feeling."

"Wonderful," the guy, whose name I learned was Easton, murmured, "I never knew trying to save a drowning person was going to sign me up for this."

"Tell me about it," Ridge had already started making his way up the stairs, "At least that means we will get to relax for the night."

"True," I followed him up the stairs, "Go to the left and to the last room down the hall, it has the biggest bed."

"I can't wait to just lay down," he breathed out and rushed over to the room and opened the door. The room was very plain, with just white furniture and a bed frame that matched. The blanket that was laid across the bed looked even more comfortable than the one I used back at our house.

He flopped down on the bed causing me to lean against the door frame and look at him with a fond smile. He always seemed to be able to make the best out of a bad situation. When he realized I wasn't joining him on the bed, he leaned up and looked over at me. "Aren't you coming?"

"Yes," I said, turning to close the door, and I walked over to the bed taking a seat beside him. He immediately grabbed my arm and pulled me into a lying position with my head on his chest.

"Why does this bed have to be more comfortable than the one at home?" I asked, moving myself into a more comfortable position.

"I don't know," he sighed out closing his eyes

We laid in silence for a good amount of time, before I broke it with a question that had been in my mind for a while. "Do you think if zombies never showed up we would be in a relationship?"

"What do you mean?" He sat up and leaned against the headboard, which made me sit up as well.

"The only reason you kissed me back at your apartment was because you thought I might die getting to the car. If zombies never show up, how long do you think it would have taken us to be something more?" That was the clarity he needed to answer my question.

"It was getting harder for me to hide how I felt," he said after a few seconds of silence, "I was starting to feel like I wanted to settling down, which means finding a place to call home after college, a job, and," he glanced at me, "a girl I wanted to be with. I only ever had eyes for you, so I knew I wasn't going to hold it back much longer."

"I had always wondered why you never really went on dates and stuff in college. I know we were busy as hell, but that didn't stop all of you guy friends from doing that," I kept my gaze on his, "It was because of me, wasn't it?"

He nodded with a small smile, "My friend always told me I was missing out on the college experience. They tried to get me to go to parties and hook up with girls, but it never worked. You can't really miss out on something if you never experienced it, especially if you never had a desire to do it in the first place."

I understood because I felt the same way, but froze when I realized what that meant, "Wait, does that mean..." I trailed off waiting for his confirmation.

"Yes. I'm a virgin, and I'm going to take your shock as a compliment," there was a smirk on his face but embarrassment in his eyes.

"I don't mean to embarrass you," I said acknowledging I knew he felt it, "and not to throw your words back at you, but I'm just surprised how a guy as handsome as you hasn't gone very far sexually."