Chapter 8

Ridge was starting to back out of our parking spot when the guy from the toll booth got out of the window. He starts to run at us, but an older man came out from behind a car and laid him flat on his ass.

"Oh my God," I say quietly as I recognize the second man, "That's the guy that shot the zombie coming for me in the neighborhood. Why is he here?"

"He's the one that saved you?" Ridge said as he stoped the car to watch the events unfold. The older man gave the guy one last good kick and he's out cold. He looks over at us, and comes our way.

I rolled my window down to talk to the man, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm trying to get to a stronghold in Tennessee. I saw that asshole climb into the window of that room, and it got me pissed off," he told us, keeping his distance from the car. It was a smart move considering we don't know each other.

"Wait, there is a stronghold in Tennessee? Where is it?" I asked the man.

"I think they are setting up shop on the lakes in the state. Personally, I'm headed towards Douglas," he said back to my question, and I had hoped that there would be one on Norris.

"We're heading that way," I said, "What's your name?"

"I'm Dean. You're Gemma, right? I know that from the home owners association. Your parents talked about you all the time," he said back, and I felt a blush rise of my cheeks, "You seem like a very smart girl. I hear you did really well in nursing school."

"Thank you," I replied, "We have to get going, but it was really nice talking with you."

"Actually, since we're going the same direction, do you mind if we travel together?" he asked right before I started to roll up my window.

"I think that's a good idea," Ridge said from the driver's seat, "We'll wait for you while you get your car."

The man nodded at Ridge and turned to get his car, "Thank you. It's lonely and scary to travel alone right now."

After the man is gone and the window was up, I turned to look at Ridge, "Are you sure about this?"

"He saved your life. He hasn't given me or you a reason not to trust him. If it makes you feel better, you can call your parents and ask them about him," he said, and I thought that was a really good idea.

As I pulled out my phone, I noticed that cell service is really bad, and I got a sinking feeling that it would go out soon.

I dialed my mom's number really fast hoping to catch them before it goes out. My mom answered on the third ring.

"Hello?" she asked, and I said, "I don't have a lot of time. What do you know about Dean from our home owner association?"

"Why?" she asked me confused, so I said, "Please just answer the question."

"He's a really sweet man, but can be hot head-" she said, but cell service was cut out.

"Damn it," I muttered, "Cell service just went out. I don't think it will come back on." I looked at Ridge and told him what my mom said, "She said he's a nice guy, but can be a bit hot headed, so it's best we try not to piss him off."

"Sounds good to me. It might be nice having him with us. It seems like he's a good shot," Ridge said as Dean pulled his car up behind us, "Do you think we should return the keys?"

"I think we should just throw them at the door as we drive by. I'm sure someone will find them in the morning and return them," I said, "With the creepy man following us, I don't want to stay here."