Chapter 13

"Do you think Lily is doing okay?" I asked Ridge as we were about fifteen minutes from the Norris, "She doesn't seem to be grieving."

"Well," he started as he thought about it, "Everyone grieves differently, and if her way of doing it is completely private, then we would never know."

"I know," I sighed as I looked out the window at the passing scenery, "She seems so normal. Just like she used to. I just want to make sure she doesn't bottle it up until she breaks."

"You could always talk to her," he told me in a soft voice, "She's come to you with all her questions, so I don't see why she wouldn't let you at least ask. She is so sweet. If she didn't want to talk about it, I can't imagine her getting mad at you."

"I know. I guess my maternal instinct is just kicking in with her," I said as I leaned my head on my hand that I rested on the center console.

"I can see that," he said, "You're already acting like her mom."

"What do you mean?" I asked him confused by what he thought he observed.

"Well," he started with a large smile, "She's already asking you about boys, and you are already protective over her. She hurt her toe, and when we couldn't get into the room, you were so distraught that I thought you might pass out. You kept your voice calm through, so I think that is what kept her calm too."

"Oh," is all I was able to say back because I realized he had a point, and it scared the hell out of me. I did not think I would become a mother at twenty one. I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to be a mother.

Ridge looked at me blankly when he realised I was in some mental turmoil. "You know, being a mom and being a big sister aren't all that different. If being a mom scares you too much, why not think of yourself as the bigger sister."

"Ya. I always wanted a sister," I said as I we continued to drive to Norris. We were now in an area that was familiar to me, so we no longer had to worry about getting lost along the way.

"I know," Ridge said, "Sisters are a lot of fun. I wish you had one too."

I let out a sigh as I looked over at him knowing he was thinking of Realynn, so I reached across the car and took his hand in mine offering him comfort. We sat in silence until we were closing in on the lake.

-----

"There seem to be a lot of infected here," I said as we drove around the small town just outside of Norris.

"It does seem that way," Ridge said as we both kept a close eye on both the infected around us and the car traveling behind us.

"Take the next left and we'll take the back way," I said as we approached the intersection, "I don't want to risk anything."

As we turn the corner however, I see several large trucks driving towards us. "What do we do?"

"We get ready to bolt, but I think if they try to talk to us, then we should at least be civil," Ridge told me as we approached the vehicles.

As the trucks got within a small distance, I recognized the driver and let a large smile grow on my face, "It's Lee."

I opened the moonroof to the car and put my hands out first to show they were empty. I popped my head out next and waved to Lee, and his face changed from confusion to happiness.

"Gemma! Oh my God, how are you?" Lee asked as he pulled up next to our flatbed.

"A little worse for wear," I said with a light tone and a bright smile, "How are things here?"