♝VI: Mediums♝

"That's our family crest, the one embossed in front." Siron said as she touched it and felt the embossed image of the Radford's family emblem. She opened the locket and saw two separate photos of the Radfords in her hands. On the left half was Charlie and on the other side was Siron. Charlie smirked and said that he carefully placed his picture and his dad's on the locket so it Bri would appreciate it.  She stared at it for a while, thinking how she can thank them with their thoughtfulness. It's just been less than two months since she met them, but it's like they were old friends since then.

"Miss Bri," Charlie excitedly called her. "Do you believe in magic?"

"What?" She replied, feeling guilty from what she had heard. What makes him ask that thing? Does he know what I am? Her subconscious nervously said.

"Nah, I just asked it. My grandma always tells me about things with spells and charms, that locket's for one. Right, Dad?"

"Yes, my mother believes about things about witchcraft, but we all know that in our modern world, things like those are-",

"Ridiculous, right? It's really not possible to have such things, is it?" Bri quickly interrupted, not wanting to talk about it.

"Miss Bri, it's not bad indeed to believe a little of those, even I believe at least. Anyway, that locket has been inherited by our family through generations. It serves as a charm. But there's a catch about that," Charlie said.

"What is it, then?"

"It chooses its wearer." Siron winked at her.

"It means if a person wears it but it dropped instantly, even if with secured lock, the locket doesn't want that person. But if it didn't drop, that means it likes that person. It's so creepy, yes. And if the locket likes the wearer, it will protect that one person. Well, that's what grandma told us, based on her 'firsthand' experience." Charlie explained.

"But this is important, and you're giving it to me?"

"Indeed, and it didn't drop, so that means it likes you."

Brittany slightly opened her lips and closed it. She wanted to laugh from what they were telling her, but she smirked at them instead.

"Thank you."

"Imagine when the locket dropped quickly from Miss Collin's ne-", Charlie was saying when Siron from his side quickly covered his mouth.

"Sorry for that." Siron said. There was silence after that, and suddenly they laughed from it.

Bri doesn't have any gift to give for the two. She was unprepared from the whole thing, but then, something crossed her mind. From around her neck, aside from the locket hanging outside, she fished out a long thin chain tags intertwined together from the inside of her sweat shirt. Two silver-plated rings hang with it. She separated the intertwined chain tags and put each ring one on each chain. She reached out both of her hands and gave it to them.

"You guys gave me something precious from your family. Mind if I give something sentimental from me, too." She said. "Those aren't from any ancient generations of my family, you see, but those are my brother's. He gave two to me, one left for him. Those have special charms, my brother said, to protect me from harm. Two, because one is not enough to protect me he said, I was reckless and unruly, saying that I need an extra one. I grew up not believing what it can do, but I think it's been effective for years, and I didn't get sick for the best. And now it served its purpose to me." She said nicely.

They were speechless but were very glad to receive their gifts, then happily wore them.

They were already outside Bri's apartment building. The car stopped at the side to drop her.