Chapter Two: The One with The Bus Crash

Chapter 2

After Carina had left, Maya headed back up the beanery, a lot happier than the last time she was up there.

"Please tell me you guys have actually completed the list of chores I gave you guys and you haven't just been sitting here?" Maya sighed.

"Nope, all finished Captain!" Andy reported.

"Ladder and Engines are all refilled and stocked."

"Both have been hosed down and polished."

"Bathrooms washed."

"Barn mopped."

"Uniforms and turnouts cleaned."

"Floors swept."

"The hole in the hall is painted and fixed."

"Very impressive," Maya mused, although skeptical.

"I will admit, we may have pushed our efforts so we could get the low down on who you are going to pick," Andy admitted sheepishly, everyone all nodding in agreement.

"Ah, I had a feeling there was an ulterior motive to all of your sudden surges of productivity and efficiency," she laughed.

"So who did you pick, you were with the final one for a while, close to around forty or so minutes. So, she either talked your ear off or she is in the running?" Vic asked curiously.

"Well, all I will tell you is that someone has been hired and they will start our next shift on Wednesday," Maya offered up as she grabbed an apple and walked out the beanery. Everyone looked back at her confused.

"She's hired someone already?!" Dean asked, "That was quick. Herrera, what's your take? You spoke to her earlier."

"I say it's between Altman and whoever that was that came in. She definitely didn't like Kepner and doesn't think Pierce was the right one for the job. She said to me before that unless whoever walked in was exactly who she was looking for Altman was her pick," Andy revealed.

"Well, I guess we'll soon all find out," Jack said.

3 seconds later the klaxon rang out - 'Engine 19, Ladder 19, Aid Car'

"Let's go people!" Andy called as everyone ran from their places and down the stairs.

Wednesday....

The team all walked in at quarter to eight for the start of their shift to a strange but not unwelcome smell filling the air of the Station.

"What's that?" Dean asked, sniffing the air.

"I don't know but I'm suspicious," Vic replied.

"It's coming from the beanery," Andy deducted.

"Wait - where's Bishop?" Travis asked, he looked inside her office and saw it was empty. "She's not in there, and she's always here before us so that only leaves..." he looked up at the beanery.

"It can't be..." Vic trailed off.

They all headed upstairs, their duffel bags full of clothes still on their shoulders. When they walked inside the beanery Andy stopped deadstill, causing everyone to trip over one another.

"Herrera - move! Why did you stop?" Everyone cried, until they all saw what she had seen.

Maya cooking breakfast.

"Ah good morning everyone!" Maya said, busying herself by cooking up a selection of bacon and waffles.

"Is she okay?" Travis whispered.