Chapter Eight: The One with The Wrong Turn

Chapter 8

As the sun broke through the sky, the birds began to chirp and silence was cast among the forest. Until a screech sliced through that silence followed by a loud scream and a crash.

"Everyone poked their heads through their tents in early morning confusion. "What the hell was that?" Travis cried.

"No - not again!" Vic moaned.

They heard another scream and all frantically started to put on some shoes.

Thankfully, everyones sudden rush meant that no one had seen Maya sneak out of Carina's tent to grab her trainers from her own tent.

Maya, being the always prepared person that she was, had brought a bag full of gear that they might need in case of an emergency because even if it she wanted this trip to go smooth sailing she'd lived in Seattle long enough to know to always come prepared, for anything and everything.

She picked the small duffel up and ran along with everyone else, Carina right behind her still looking a bit disoriented from the sudden wake up call.

The screams continued, making it a lot easier for them to navigate where they were going.

"I can't believe this has happened again!" Jack cried as he ran.

"I just wanted to sleep," Travis complained.

"Why do we keep doing this?" Vic added.

"I think we're cursed!" Andy replied.

"Let's move people!" Maya called as she took ahead of the rest of the team, her Olympic pace, once again, coming into her advantage.

When she arrived she dropped her bag to the ground and looked around seeing nothing except a large skid mark ingrained into the dirt road. She ran towards the side, seeing the smashed fence, her eyes widening seeing a car stuck on a ledge down below.

Everyone else quickly joined her.

"Okay - we have a trapped victim, potentially more than one, in an unstable vehicle and we need to evacuate. Gibson grab the rope from my bag!" Maya ordered as she continued to assess the scene. The car was at least 15 feet down and resting against the cliff edge, the front was pressed hard against the bottom of a small ledge, a near 45 degree angle, any more weight or added pressure and it would crash to the ground.

"What are you doing?" Andy asked, her eyes flicking between the rope and Maya.

"Going down there," Maya said as if it was obvious.

"You can't....you have no protection - no nothing!"

"We are first responders Andy - so we respond- that man is going to die if we don't do something right now."

"Emmet and Travis go down to Ranger Pat he has a phone. Call emergency services tell them we need the fire department, aid car and mountain rescue," she said. The men ran off back down the road.

"Gibson rope," she ordered. Jack handed over the rope from the bag.

Maya began to secure it around her body, thankful it was long enough to go down to where the car was balanced.

"Maya this is dangerous!" Carina said, looking at the blonde. "Per favore, fai attenzione," she knew she we wouldn't be able to stop the blonde, despite the imminent threat of the situation, so all she could do was support her, and help in anyway she could. [Just please be careful.]

"I will," Maya said with a small smile, tying the final knot around her body - tugging to make sure it was secure.

"Hold onto this - lower me down slowly and please don't drop me," Maya begged, throwing the rope to the team.