Chapter 8

Dance, dance. Twirl and spin. Lifts and bows, play the game that many move within. hand in hand, eye to eye. Will you be mine or die?

The Sea Dance.

Where many merfolk meet, greet, and have a joyous evening finding their mates. Tonight will be a change of fate, for me that is. 

Today begins with a massive headache and my hair standing on edge. 

'Something is going to happen, something bad.' 

"Morning sweety, how did you sleep?" mother swims in with two mermaids behind her carrying a big white box.

"Slept well, what is in there?" I tilt my head to the right looking past my mother's fins.

"Oh, it is your gown for the dance." I push myself off the comfy bed and flap my tail up and down three times to get to my destination.

The box with a lovely red satin bow. I trail my fingertips along with the soft fabric. A smell wafts in my nostrils. I inhale the aroma.

"What is that smell?" I turn to my mother. "It smells like strawberries and seaweed."

"It is from the box. Open it." My mother has her hands clasped in front of her chest and her side fins wave around in the water with vigor.

"Okay," I turn back to look down at the rectangle in front of me.

My forefinger, middle finger, and thumb press on the end of the ribbon. I pull the ribbon free from its knot with ease. I let it glide down and hang from the seat the box is on.

I lift the light wood of the lid and let it fall back. The chains on either side stretch and stop the lid from moving anymore back.

Gasps fly around the room and among them is my own. 

A red short lace dress with a lovely rose pattern on it with thin straps. It is slightly longer in the back but it is worth it. The red actually blends well with my gold tail.

 The red actually blends well with my gold tail

"Oh and check under the dress." Mother leans her head in looking in the box before leaning back watching me.

I gently slither my hand along with the boxwood under the lovely fabric and feel a soft and sturdy texture. I grip the square box and pull it out from underneath.

A blue velvet square box lay in my hands. I look over to the girls. They nod for me to open it.

I lay my right hand on the cover and lift it up. My hand lets go and flies to cover my mouth as a gasp breathes out.

A silver diamond choker necklace meets my eyes on top of a black silk cushion.