Birthday Confessions

Fanart by johannathemad on Tumbler!

"I got it!" Tanaka yells, receiving Yamaguchi's serve from the opposing side and passing it in Kageyama's direction. In a flash the ball goes from his fingertips to Hinata's grasp and to the floor, ending the practice match.

A whistle blows and Coach Ukai bellows, "All right, that's game! Go ahead, clean up and make sure things are locked up before you go. We'll meet at the same time tomorrow."

At this, you stand up from where you were sitting and run to help pick up volleyballs that had rolled off the court. Although you weren't a team manager, you were friends with the majority of the members and enjoyed coming out to watch them practice. Of course in doing so, you felt obligated to help clean up after practice.

You walk over to where Nishinoya was standing and drop the balls in the cart beside him.

"Hey! Thanks for helping out again, y/n!" He beamed. "How do you think we did tonight?"

"You guys were great. Although, I think I'm a bit biased since you were going against yourselves." You laugh and he joins in. "But I will say, since you were on the losing team, that there are some things you can improve on."

"Gee tha-HEY!" His gratitude is cut short after hearing your critique sending you into a fit of laughter. "I'd like to see you play against that power attack Kageyama and Hinata have going. In fact, I bet you can't even serve the ball over the net!"

You open your mouth to hit him with a smart remark, but Daichi beats you to it. "Nishinoya, you have quite a bit to say for someone who mainly specializes in receiving. Besides, Y/N is here to watch and support the team. Not to indulge in your trash talk."

The two continue to banter back and forth and you realize that you hadn't finished the task you were attending to. You push the cart into the storage closet just as Ennoshita and Tanka were walking out with mops in hand. After double-checking to make sure all the volleyballs were collected, you turn to walk out and jump in surprise to see Asahi standing in the doorway.

"Holy sh- Asahi you scared me." You yelp, a hand flying to your chest and he winces.

"I'm- I'm sorry! I didn't mean to! I saw you pushing the cart into storage and was making sure you didn't need any help. I'm really sorry, and I hope I didn't frighten you too badly." He apologizes profusely, taking a few steps backwards and avoids eye contact.

"No, you're okay! I wasn't expecting you to be there and didn't hear you walk up so I got startled." You attempt to reassure him, but his current stance wasn't convincing you it was helping. "I'm fine, really. Are you okay?"

He smiles sheepishly, folding his arms against himself tightly. "Yeah, don't worry about me. I actually wanted to ask you something, if you're not in a rush."

You feel your heart skip a beat and you hope the question he has is the same as the one you've been dreaming of for a while now. "Of course, Asahi. What's up?"

His hands twist together as he avoids your gaze and blurts out, "Do you prefer chocolate or vanilla? I'm just curious."

Bewildered at the random question, you chuckle nervously and unconsciously try to figure out why he was asking. His words shake you from your thoughts and you realize you never answered him.

"Was that an odd question? Please don't think too much about it, I just want to get to know you more and thought it was a good ice breaker." Your heart jumps once again at this.

"Well, it depends on what I'm eating. If I'm having ice cream then I prefer vanilla, but if it's cake, I like chocolate."

He nods, uncrossing his arms and moving them to his jacket pockets. "That's cool, well I've-uh, got to go. I'll see you tomorrow at practice, Y/N." Before he walks away, you grab his wrist to pull him towards you.