Cafe Chatter

His eyes were as deep as the darkest roast of coffee on the menu. There was a warmth about them that drew me in along with his soft features. He had his hair tied away from his face, allowing a better look of his complexion and before he could catch me staring, I fixed my gaze onto the display of pastries.

"Is there anything from the case that I could get for you?" His voice calls me out of my staring spell and my attention is back on the barista in front of me. I felt like a deer staring into a pair of headlights.

"Er, I'm not sure. Everything looks good." I reply, turning back to the sweets. "What would you recommend?"

The glass door of the display slides and I watch as he reaches for a muffin on the bottom shelf. "My go to will always be our chocolate chip muffin. A bit basic, but when it's warmed up, I'm telling you, it's to die for." He rambles, "I always have one to start my day and take what's left at the end of the shift. You should try one!"

Closing the case, he strides over to the cash register and I follow en suite. "What can I get you to drink?"

My usual order spills from my mouth without putting much thought to it and he is quick to jot it down. "Got it. I'll get that to you in a few." He grins and turns to make my order.

Moments pass and I try my best to fix my attention on anything but the man behind the counter. I pull my phone from my pocket and open to my photos, scrolling aimlessly through them until he approaches with a cup and muffin in hand.

"Here you go! I hope everything is to your liking and that you enjoy my recommendation."

I happily take the items from his outstretched hands and set them down in front of me. I grab my wallet to pay but he stops me. "Don't worry about it, it's on me today."

I look up at him, uncertain and continue to pull out some cash, "Are you sure? You really don't have to do that, I can pay."

He nods, a grin shining on his face. "I'll take care of it. All you need to do is have a great rest of your day."

I hesitate before slowly thanking him and returning the money to my wallet.

I return the next day and continue the following days, which turns into weeks. Pretty soon I've made visiting the long-haired barista and month long habit of mine. Every day I ask for the same order and he provides as well as some form of small talk. Our previous discussion involved me inquiring about his hair care routine and I was pleased to discover that he did not use 3-in-1.

It's been awhile:) hope to get back into the swing of things!
Reminder: you are loved Xx