Chapter 4: Part 2

" Didn't she try to jump off her apartment building last night?" Marinette tried her best to ignore the comment. It was one of many that had followed her through the hallways. She slightly regretted telling Damian off when he had offered to stay with her instead of head to the office when he was called over the intercom. Maybe she should have gone with him. The feeling intensified at the sight of Jason leaning against her locker.

        " Hey there, chickadee." He smiled as she approached. Marinette shook her head at the ridiculous nickname that he insisted on calling her. There seemed to be some agreement that she needed a bird name if she was going to be hanging out with the family more often and shadow them during patrol. She wasn't so sure how she felt about being compared to a small songbird but Jason insisted and it was better than some of the other ones he had come up with.

        " What are you doing here Todd." She let some venom seep into the name. Watching him visibly stiffen at the phrase was worth the extra effort.

       " Demon... Little D asked me to come hang with you for a little bit. He wasn't quite clear on the why but he was very adamant that I was to stay with you till he could be here." Marinette rolled her eyes slightly.

       " Damian is just overreacting. I got a little dizzy standing up. I was perfectly fine." It was Jason's turn to roll his eyes but he said nothing else. He'd learned pretty quickly that if Marinette made up her mind there was no changing it. That didn't mean he wouldn't stick around though. Damian had woken him up claiming it was an emergency and asking for help. Jason assumed if his brat of a brother was calling him for an emergency it must be important. They could always beat each other up later if it wasn't, he didn't have any plans.

       Marinette sighed and turned to go to her first class, deciding that pushing past Jason to get into her locker was too much effort and the day had already been tiring enough.

       " Oh, you must be Damian." Damian couldn't believe his eyes. He must have been slipped some of Scarecrow's fear toxin. " Yes, the secretary said you'd be showing us around." When he had been called into the office he was expecting a complaint from another student, not what was in front of him.

       " Guess he doesn't speak french. That woman did look pretty old, maybe she got him confused with my Damian. He's fluent in French and would have loved to show us around if he hadn't gotten sick. He's so sad he's missing me. We'd get VIP service wherever we went." Damian's eyes narrowed on the tanned french girl with the ugliest hair he had ever seen.

       " I speak perfect French I hope the same could be said about your English." At this point, he was looking for an escape route. He had been too distracted with Marinette to even realize where the secretary had sent him.

       " You can't speak to me like that. Do you know who my boyfriend is?" Damian ignored the comment. His only thoughts were getting back to Marinette and getting her out of this growing nightmare. He was suddenly grateful that he had called Todd to watch over Marinette when he got called away.

       A door opened suddenly. Damian took the noise and movement as his escape. Running face-first into the one person that should be as far away from this situation as possible.

       " Merde, Damn it, Damian. Watch where you're going." Damian had one thing going for him. He had knocked her back into the hallway where Jason stood laughing. She hadn't seen the class and they hadn't seen her. " Damian, did you hear what I just said?" He glanced from Jason to Marinette and back again, trying in vain to formulate a plan. His brain wouldn't function. It was stuck on panic with the only thought being to get Marinette out. " Damian?"

       " What did the jerk do out here?"

       Fear spread across Marinette's face. She knew that voice. That voice that had caused her pain. Years and years of continuous pain. Almost as if in slow motion a face framed with brown hair appeared behind Damian from the door. A look of shock hit the tan girl. The face and voice belong to Lila, and Lila had just seen her.