Chapter 1: Part 2

Damian hated this girl. Which was saying a lot since he hates everybody. But for some reason he just couldn't put his finger on, he hated her more than anything or anyone else. Something was different about her. Something felt wrong.

       She was following slightly behind him, completely silent as they made their way to their first class. He watched as her eyes darted around taking in everything, lingering on the shadows and then moving to the next thing.

       He stopped suddenly to catch her by surprise. But she simply side stepped and kept walking past him. That's when he realized she made no noise while walking. Every footstep was silent. Damian's scowl deepened. After several feet she stopped walking and turned to him.

     " I'm pretty sure class is this way." Damian raised an eyebrow. He was supposed to be showing this girl around, and yet here she was telling him where their class was. It was infuriating.

     " I'm aware." He had to keep the snarl out of his voice. She didn't mean any harm and he had to remember that. Her eyes fell and she nodded quietly waiting for him to catch up with her. When he did she took her spot behind him and again began to follow.

       When they finally made it to class Damian's patience had worn thin. And the worst part is nothing had happened other than their brief interaction. He mentally scolded himself. What was it about this girl that got on his every nerve. Just being around her left him agitated and he'd only known her for less than ten minutes.

     " So Damian who's your new friend?" The teacher didn't mean anything by it but the words grated against him.

     " She's capable of introducing herself." There was a sigh as he moved to his seat. Marinette stood at the front watching him as he made his way to the back of the room. Her eyes moved to the teacher who seemed frustrated, and then to the uninterested class.

    " My name is Marinette Davis. I'm from France." The teacher smiled at her. Giving her a bit of comfort that she desperately needed.

     " Hello Marinette. Welcome to Gotham academy. I'm Mr Clarke, your math teacher. We were about to play a get to know you game and then set our seating arrangement. Sit wherever you like you'll be moved later." He motioned toward the seats. She nodded and looked around, Before deciding on an empty seat in the second row.

       The desk was awkward. You could only get in and out of one side; the large bar that was supporting the desk portion of the desk chair combination made it impossible to use the other side. And difficult to slip into just to sit. Getting into the desk was made even more awkward by the fact that the entire class, including her irritable guide had their eyes on her. 'It's because you're new,' she said to herself but her gut twisted.

      'What if they know? Can they see the scars? Do they recognize me? Will word get back to chat?' In an attempt to calm herself she took a deep breath and smiled. Her first line of defense against the world. ' No they have no idea, you're new here. You're basically invisible.' As she silenced her thoughts the teacher handed out a piece of paper.

     " Alrighty class get as many signatures as you possibly can, remember only one signature per person." With those words the eyes left her and the class stood and moved around. Some approached her and she signed their sheets. Others came and asked her questions which she answered politely, with the best English she could and hoping her accent wasn't too thick.

       It was a different experience that by the time it was over she was on the edge of her seat. There was so much kindness coming from this class, these people she barely knew. It made her a bit uncomfortable. How could they be so kind, so understanding, so trusting when they hardly knew her at all. It was so different from her old school. These people wanted to talk to her. Get to know her. For so long she had been alone. Quiet unless spoken to and even then answers were short and to the point. Maybe she wouldn't be alone for the first time in years. That's when the seating chart came onto the projector screen.

     " Of course my luck wouldn't hold." Marinette muttered to herself. As she grabbed her bag and made her way to the back of the class to sit next to the boy who was her guide. Marinette could feel the disdain for her radiating from him as she approached her seat. And all feelings of hope left when she sat down. He hated her and she had no idea why. At this point she shouldn't have been surprised. Everyone hated her eventually but she knew she had done nothing that would have made him hate her so quickly and that made her angry. The least this stuck up pretentious boy could do was give her time to mess up so he had a reason to dislike her.

     " Hello Damian, looks like we'll be next to each other for a while. I hope we can get to know each other better." She said in her best English and as sweetly as she could while still letting the sharpness of her comment sink in. At one point she would have been mortified of herself by the tone she used, but not anymore. That girl was gone and the new Marinette, had been born in the hellhole that was her life for four years. And this time she wouldn't be silenced or pushed down. This time she would thrive.

       The sudden switch of the sweet girl who seemed surprised that people were talking to her to the harsh venom tongued vixen. Made Damian shiver. His hair standing on end. Up until this point she seemed bored but curious, something that shouldn't be a threat, but this side of her that had decided to make itself known to Damian proved his instincts correct. She was dangerous and skilled. He was sure nothing would get in this girls way, and for the first time in a long time Damian was scared. Scared of the girl no lioness that sat next to him. Who was taking in the rest of the room with a small sweet smile. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of Chapter one: Part two