chapter three

⊱ ━━━━.⋅ εïз ⋅.━━━━ ⊰

❝ i was born with it, stark ❞

⊱ ━━━━.⋅ εïз ⋅.━━━━ ⊰

THE RED numbers on the screen showed the time, 01:33.

Nova was given a room in the compound, and for the past few hours she had been tossing and turning on the bed as she tried to fall asleep. Clearly nothing was helping her case.

Her stomach grumbled, and she thought about how she hadn't eaten all day. With a small sigh, she tossed the covers off her body before walking towards the kitchen. The Avengers compound was dark, the only source of light being the dim ones in a few spots of the ceiling.

The brunette headed into the kitchen and searched for anything she could snack on while trying to be as quiet as possible. She found a packet of oreos, settling for it as she pulled out a high chair from under the counter and sat down.

As she ate the oreos silently, her mind wandered off to how she could possibly change things. She thought about the fact that the people who dusted were different, did that mean her family was still okay? Are her parents and brother still safe and in one piece in Ivazar? She could call, but then again the communication satellite hadn't been made yet this year.

The lights flickered on and her head snapped towards the entrance of the kitchen, instantly alarmed.

"Woah, calm down battery. It's just me," Tony held his hands up. "You can, turn off your... lights...?" he said, unsure as he gestured to his eyes.

Nova looked down, blinking a few times and shaking her head as she realised she was probably emitting a purple aura along with an invisible electrical shield. It happens whenever she sensed an unknown presence, something she'd do unconsciously these days.

"Sorry, it was... a reflex," she muttered, picking at the packaging of the oreo pack. "I'm just here for oreos," she waved a cookie out before taking a bite.

"Who are you? I don't think I've seen you around here," Tony asked as he eyed her. She exhaled inwardly and told her what the others saw that morning, but only a brief summary. Turns out he came to the compound for a quick visit, and was leaving again in the morning.

"Can't sleep?" the man asked as he moved around the kitchen to get himself a glass of water. She chuckled, only shaking her head in response as he nodded understandingly.

"There any chance you can tell me what Strange wanted to change?" he asked, taking a sip of his water.

Nova looked up at him, meeting his eyes as she felt a slight wave of sadness wash over her. She had never met the man, but all those stories she's heard about the Iron Man made her look up to him. Now here she was, sat in the kitchen with the man who in the future of another timeline had sacrificed his life for the universe.