02

Unfortunately for Hyejoo, the rain does not appear to be stopping anytime soon, and is expected to continue raining for a few more weeks.

     Hyeri, on the other hand, was thoroughly enjoying the rain's roar and the chill of each drop of water.

     She would frequently go outside and jump in puddles alone, exactly like what she did when she was a child.

     Hyeri would always persuade the other girl to come outdoors and play with her in the hopes of changing her mind towards rain. Though she still has no idea why Hyejoo despises rain.

     The mood had changed to that of an interrogation room. It was so serious that it made Hyejoo, probably the world's most imposing person, gulp in awkwardness.

     "There's so much to like about rain! I can't believe we're best friends when we don't even share the same interests."

     "Two words; opposites attract."

     Hyejoo nonchalantly stated, making the younger girl sigh in frustration.

     "C'mon, Joo, just tell me why you hate rain. It's not a big deal but an explanation is necessary for a person like me!"

     "When I used to be in middle school, I held a deep grudge with rainy days because— I mean the weather is cloudy, you have to wake up in the morning to go to school but the weather gives you a drowsy like attitude. Out of energy."

     "The sunny weather, on the other hand, wakes you up in the morning; there is light, and you feel refreshed and energized. You may enjoy the sun outside, take a stroll through the streets, or have a good time with your friends. All the rain does is basically ruin everything."

     Hyeri's pout was replaced with a stern expression, as she didn't believe Hyejoo's explanation for why she disliked rains. "You're gonna have to give me more than that, Miss Son."

     The older girl knitted her eyebrows as she huff a big gush of air. Her teeth started to grit in anger with her hands balled up into a fist. For some unknown reason, she was getting annoyed.

     However, she soon discovered that she had been hiding this secret for quite some time. Hyejoo is the only one who knows about it and only her.

     Despite the fact that they have been friends for almost ten years, Hyeri is completely unaware of this. The only lie she told Hyeri was she wasn't keeping any secret from her, except this one. The reason why she hated rain.

     The older girl was torn between whether or not she should reveal her secret. However, it may be a good idea to tell Hyeri the reason already as it might help her finally let go of the past.

     With a deep sigh, Hyejoo started, "Fine. You see, back then when we still don't know each other . . . I used to be exactly like you. I adore rain and all things wet."

     "Taking a bath on the rain was my thing although never will I do jumping on muddy puddles. I hate being dirty," she chuckled as she reminisced the good old times.

     "It was my father who motivated me, telling me that although if the rainy season appears to be bleak and depressing, there are still entertaining things to do with it."

     Hyejoo's smile began to fade, "It was fun and all, not until the rain got worse and worse as days pass." Just like the emotion she emitted when saying that, the atmosphere started to gloom.

     "We found out that there was a storm coming . . . We were too late to evacuate from our house therefore we have no choice but to remain indoors and keep all doors and windows sealed."

     "The wind becomes a tyrant. It roars and groans, bending tree trunks and splintering branches; it blows and molests, bringing with it mountains of clouds that reek of evil."

     "Rain falls as if it intends to wash us away, as if it intends to hammer us till we smear like a Monet masterpiece. The heavens appear to be knocking on our door, roof, and window panes," She paused, recalling the nightmare she'd just had. "Every house was shut closed, bracing for the onslaught of rain that was about to deluge us."

     "Lightning rips as if it tears heaven apart; another roll of thunder tears silence into pieces. Those booming sounds kept me up all night, it was as if there were terrorists bombing the city. I grew scared."

     "Although, my parents were there for me. To console me, telling me that it's going to be alright. The storm will go off soon and the sun will be shining once again."

     "With the aid of evil winds, beads of rain coalesce into strings and then sheets, beating down on the trees, rooftops and streets. It's a world of water now . . ."

     There was a brief pause before Hyeri spoke up, her voice tinged with surprise, "It . . . It flooded?" Hyejoo gave a bitter chuckle after nodding her head affirmatively, "Yup. Although . . . That's not all."

     "What?"

     "When the rain finally ended and the flood was drained after ruining the whole city, people went out to check the damage it did," she continued as the feeling grew tense.

     "It sure did a lot but I'm not concerned with that. It was . . . until a broken tree landed directly on our house. That was the house where we created so many great memories together, ones I don't want to forget."

     Hyejoo sighed, "It only took a single tree to ruin everything. Knowing that it was all the cause of the rain, I began to hate it."

     "I never knew such beautiful and relaxing season can be so delicate and pure while still having the ability to break, shatter and destroy."