Number One Fan! Interview with TheAmandaProject

This interview is with TheAmandaProject. For those of you who haven't yet checked out this unique project, there is a lot of great information here that will make it all clear. For fans and followers and contributors, I hope that there's something here that will tickle your fancy, too.

You can read the first book and see what's going on at the Wattpad page or go to www.theamandaproject.com

Enjoy!

***************************

1.  For people new to The Amanda Project, what is it? 

The Amanda Project is the story of mysterious high-schooler Amanda Valentino told across an 8-book series and a website where you can become a character in her mystery and help shape her world!

2.  Who came up with the idea for The Amanda Project and where did they get the inspiration from? 

The Amanda Project was developed by a number of fabulous authors (including the amazing Melissa Kantor and Laurie Stolarz) along with Fourth Story Media. Inspiration came from many diverse places, but we were all especially fascinated with the concept of identity - how you see yourself, how you present yourself to others, and all of the various ways one person can be interpreted.

3.  How did they actually get The Amanda Project up and running? 

The initial beta launch of The Amanda Project website started with just 100 girls - avid teen readers and writers who helped us shape the site. The big official push of the project came when HarperCollins published Book 1 in the series (which launched in paperback earlier this year).

4.  Are the books all meant to be read together as a set or are they each stand-alone stories? 

The books definitely form a cohesive (and riveting!) mystery series. Readers can come to the website at any part of their journey - before they read the books at all, or at any point along the way. The more you read, however, the more you're immersed in Amanda's world and in her mystery.

5.  Who are the writers of the three books that have been written for TAP so far? 

Melissa Kantor (Book 1 - in stores now), Peter Silsbee (Book 2 - in stores June 2011), Laurie Faria Stolarz (Book 3 - in stores in December 2011)

6.  How do the authors get chosen to write a book for TAP and have the writers for the last five books been chosen yet? 

The Amanda authors were approached for their unique voices, their AMAZING writing skills, and because we were huge fans of their work! We especially looked for authors who were wanting to work on a different kind of project - who wanted to collaborate directly with other authors and readers, and really experiment with a new form of storytelling.

The last four writers have already been chosen but we're not ready, yet, to reveal who they are. There will be a return of characters (and authors) that fans have loved and also some exciting new ones, so keep an eye out for that.

If I want to write a story to contribute to TAP, what should I do?

Join the website! www.theamandaproject.com  It is free and open to everyone. Tons of member contributions end up in the book, and one piece of writing is chosen to be published in the back of every edition. So far two teens have seen their writing in print - including a 16-year-old writer from Texas, and a 15-year-old writer from Missouri! The next book will include both poetry, and an original piece of artwork from teen members.

What happens to all the stories that people write for TAP? How can I read them?

They all live on the site! You can read them by visiting Our Stories http://www.theamandaproject.com/our-stories (weekly web mysteries posted by the characters from the book), or the Amanda Zine http://www.theamandaproject.com/zine (writing, poetry, songs, and art posted by members like you). 

Are there any plans to compile them and publish them?

Definitely. We've been toying around with the idea of an actual printed Zine for a while. There is so much amazing stuff on there that we would love to print! If you have any suggestions, let us know!

How many people have joined www.theamandaproject.com so far?

Thousands upon thousands from all over the world!!

What is it about TAP that draws people in?

Amanda's story speaks to everyone in a different way - that's the beautiful thing about Amanda. We find that many are drawn to Amanda for her boundless creativity and unique way of looking at the world. The Amanda Project invites everyone to come and express themselves in a supportive, nurturing environment (and the mystery itself is incredibly addictive!)

Are any of the other books going to be on Wattpad?

We definitely have some exciting things planned for the Book 2 release this June...keep an eye out!