Number One Fan! Interview with Charlaine Harris

• Dédié à Charlaine Harris

This interview is with Charlaine Harris. She is the writer of the Sookie Stackhouse novels that the HBO show True Blood is based on. She is also the writer of three other mystery series; Aurora Teagarden, Lily Bard, and the Harper Connelly series. If you haven't yet read her work, I highly recommend that you clear some time in your schedule and check them out. Trust me, you need the free time because once you start, you won't be able to put the books down.

The latest book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, Dead Reckoning, is scheduled to be released on May 3, 2011. That's only one week from now! The external link will take you to the Amazon page if you haven't already pre-ordered.

If you wolf that down and can't wait for the next one, The Sookie Stackhouse Companion is coming out in August, 2011.

Mrs. Harris was very kind to take the time and answer a few questions for me and I hope you all enjoy reading this interview as much as you enjoy reading her books.

The photo on the side was taken by Christina Radish.

Enjoy!

******************

1. You grew up in the South during a time of great social and political change. Did any of that penetrate to the small town where you lived and did it have any impact on you personally? What influence did that have on your personality?

That change swept the entire South, small towns, cities, and everything. It had a tremendous impact on me personally. I had lived my entire life in a segregated community, and when I was a senior in high school, everything changed. Going through a time of what might be considered revolutionary changes affects your world view in a profound way.

2. What were your parents' expectations for you when you were younger and how did those expectations affect you and the choices you made for yourself?

My parents expected - well, I think my father expected - me to go to college, pledge a sorority, train as a school teacher, and get married. And those were pretty much the expectations I had for myself, I suppose. But it didn't turn out that way. I went to college and graduated, I was in a sorority for a year, and I've been married twice. But I would have been a terrible teacher, so it's lucky I never tried to be one.

3. What kind of a student were you in school and what was the most important thing you learned?

I made very good grades in high school, but I was a poor student. My study habits were terrible, and I had huge blind spots in my intelligence. Luckily, I've managed to make a living anyway. The most important thing I learned? A good teacher can make a great difference.

4. What achievement are you most proud of and why? After that accomplishment, what did you turn your sights to?

The achievement I'm most proud of? Undoubtedly our three children. They are smart, talented, good, and fine-looking. Even if they hadn't been, they'd still be the best thing I've ever done. My books run second. I was really happy when I won the Anthony award, because the mystery community is the group of my peers. I started out in mystery. I can't really think of anything I want that I haven't already done.

5. If I asked your family and closest friends to describe your personality, what would I hear the most from them and why?

I hope they would say I have a pronounced sense of humor and that I try to always do the right thing. Sometimes I'm puzzled as to what that might be.

6. What is your favorite song?

"In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.

7. What are you usually doing when you're not writing or promoting your work?