It's in the accent

"Honey are you going to be okay going into school on your own" Dad said throwing his things into his bag and looking at his watch.

"Aren't I always" I groaned putting the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher. I heard Dad sigh I turned and looked at him. "I'm sorry that came out a little rough" I hugged him "I'm nervous about the school"

"You'll be fine honey" he smiled "Jessica come on baby" he called out to my little sister

"Dad" she protested "I'm not a baby I'm in first grade" I had to laugh at her flouncing

"I'm sorry honey" Dad chuckled dropping a kiss in her blond ringlets as she hoisted her backpack onto her shoulder "Remember Aunt Marie will pick you up after cheer practice"

"I know Chris already reminded me" she groaned looking out of the door "Oooo there's the girl from Next door she's in my grade. Can I go wait for the bus with her?" she begged already half way out of the door.

"Hey small fry" I called out to her she turned round and looked at me. "Lunch" I held out her Monkey lunch bag a smile lit her face"PB&J?"

"Do I ever give you anything else?" I teased as she took the bag from me and hugged me tight "I'll come pick you up when I'm done with school okay?"

"I know you told me" she rolled her eyes "Love you Chris"

"Love you Jess" I watched as she hugged Dad

"Be a good coach and don't yell too much Daddy" she kissed his cheek "Love you"

"Love you to Bab..." she looked at him "Love you too Jess" he corrected himself and watched as she ran out of the door as I put my lunch into my bag.

"She'll be fine Dad" I picked up my coffee mug and drained it "Jess can find friends anywhere"

"I know but I just thought your Mom might have called." he sighed 

"She's in Australia whole different day there at the moment" I laughed trying to not make Dad feel so lost for a while "Here" I held out a brown bag.

"What's this?"

"PB&J and some cold pizza" I smiled kissing his cheek "oh and I let you have the last of the cookies Grandma baked"

"Christine you're my angel" he chuckled "I'll see you around 9 tonight okay"

"We'll be fine Dad don't worry and Aunt Marie is only a few miles away" I picked up the keys to my car "Have a good day and like Jess said don't yell too much"

"Call me at lunch time so I know how you're getting on"

"I will" I nodded

 I walked out for 6.45am it was like walking into a steaming sauna. I clicked the button on my pretty little mustang all shiny and black. For some reason my Mom insisted that I got it for my 16th birthday that as normal she missed due to it apparently inconveniently clashing with the release of her new book. But I'd had fun without her which was getting more and more frequent; she was more and more in demand from her publisher and from her fans. 

I turned on the engine and turned up the air conditioning. I've visited Florida plenty of times but living here was going to take some getting used to. I pulled down the driveway and out onto the street.

It was only about 5 miles to school but I wanted to get there before most of the other kids did. I rounded the bend and the school rose up in front of me twice the size of my old school in Wisconsin; I sighed Ahh for the cool lake right now and my friends. I swallowed back the homesick feelings and pulled into the parking lot not too many cars were there. 

The soccer and football teams were out practicing with a hoard of hangers on as I'd call them all the giggly girls that looked the part but had nothing between the ears watching them and whispering to each other. 

I'd heard things from Family members about how bitchy things had become here at the school and I'd tried not to let it bug me; but now I was here; alone it was bugging the hell out of me. I locked the car and took a deep breath and walked to the main entrance.

The office was easy to find as soon as I walked in, there was the odd student walking the halls a few looked me over but I think that had more to do with the Wisconsin t-shirt I was wearing than anything else.

 I opened the door and walked over to the desk the young woman sitting behind a computer looked up.

"You must be Christine Sommers. Welcome to Riverview High" she smiled a huge over bleached smile "All the way from chilly Wisconsin" she shuddered.

"It's September its still 80 degrees there" I pulled a face. I hated anyone bashing the mid west. My cousins loved to tease me about it when I saw them every year.

"Of course well here's your schedule and the map of the school. We have try outs coming up for the play and for soccer and swimming and dance team and..." oh this woman could drone on and her voice was beginning to irritate the heck out of me.

"Do I have a locker?" I interrupted her

"Yes down the hall" she took the map from my hand drew a line across the map "then go up the small stairs and it's on your left locker 212" she walked over to the computer and printed off something else "And here's your combination" I took it from her and had to smile at the 715 the old dialing code for my old home town. "You have to get this signed by each of your teachers today and then bring it back here after school done"

"Okay thanks" the door to the office opened and the noise level rose with the sounds of guys laughing.

"Boys' come on you're not out on the football field now" She groaned but I swear she stood straighter pushing her boobs out further. I rolled my eyes and coughed. "Oh yes... right" she looked back at me "you have everything you need so you can run along" she seemed to want to get me out of the office as soon as she could.

I picked up my things and turned around to find four guys all standing waiting patiently eyeing me up and down weighing me up. One of them grabbed the door handle and opened it for me.

"Thank you"

"You're welcome honey" he chuckled as I walked by "Wisconsin; isn't it a state full of cows and snow?" one of the guys laughed making the other howl I ground my teeth together today was going to be a long rough day.