1- Ancient History

Reed, Ben, and Rachel headed towards the soaring glass-box atrium of VDI Headquarters

Reed, Ben, and Rachel headed towards the soaring glass-box atrium of VDI Headquarters. Designed to inspire awe, it did.

"High open space, exposed structural elements. Obviously aimed at first time visitors to create feelings of...smallness, inadequacy." Reed said.

Ben glanced at Reed, who was looking a little nervous. "Good thing it ain't workin... Reed, what are we doing here? This guy's fast-food, strip-mall science --"

"This wasn't our first stop, in case you forgot NASA. And Victor's not that bad. He's just a little..." Reed looked at his statue. "Larger in life." They moved past the statue, Into the sprawling atrium. "He's financed some of the biggest breakthroughs of this century."

"You'd never know it." Ben mumbled. He motioned to a high tech orb, showing footage of VDI's accomplishments: a safe and clean nuclear facility, the first private space station. All images Victor had front and center, glad- handling George Bush, Tony Blair, and other leaders. The last image was Victor holding the AMERICA's CUP. "Jesus. That too." The three of them reached three stern receptionists.

"Reed and Rachel Richards and Ben Grimm here to see --" The receptionist cut him of, handing them each a pass.

"Executive elevator. Top floor."

"What's the price for a smile round here?" Ben joked.

"For real. They all look like zombies." Rachel judged.

The trio headed for the elevator and too his office. As they sat in the elevator, Rachel felt a vibration in her back. She realized it was her phone. She checked the caller ID: Johnny Storm ♥️

She immediately picked up. "Hey babe!" She said.

"Happy anniversary! It's been 2 years since you decided to date the coolest person on Earth!"

Rachel didn't expect him to remember. He forgot last year so who was to say he would forget this year.

"Oh my god! You actually remembered! Happy anniversary baby!"

"So..when are you coming home? Cause I have an awesome night planned for just the two of us. It involves food and-"

"Okay Johnny. I'm picking up what you're putting down. I need to go. This is an important meeting. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay. Bye!"

By the time Rachel ended the call, they were heading towards his office.

—————————————————

In a large dark office, Ben and Rachel were standing in the corner while Reed explained everything.

Bright holograms: Stars. Planets. They hovered in the air, making the room feel like a majestic portal into outer space.