chapter eighteen

☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - havoc

Her eyes threatened to fall close, but still, Deema clung to the barrier of the ship, looking out over to the waves. It was a calm night, slowly lulling her to sleep. She should sleep, needed sleep, but the last place she wanted to be was her cabin. Every time she made a sound, the creature in the box caused havoc. It seemed to hear everything. Each rustle of sheets, each step, each exhale. It was terrible, she couldn't sleep, at least not while feeling safe.

A few nights before, she'd bumped into her desk when she wanted to grab a drink in the dark. The creature caused so much trouble the iron lock was almost snapped off the crate, and three people had rushed in to see what was wrong. Since that night, she'd avoided her own cabin as much as she could.

"You're up late again," startled, Deema twisted her neck only to see Bella walking closer.

"So are you," the last thing Deema wanted was to talk. For the first time in her life, she wanted to be off the damn ship. She wanted the crate gone, she wanted to sleep, and she wanted answers. They'd reach King's Landing any day now.

Bella stopped next to her. She'd never had much love for a nice view, turning her eyes and grin towards Deema. "Still can't sleep with Ser Trouble in there?"

The way Bella carried herself reminded her so much of Yara. From the way she grinned to the way she talked to Deema. Close, but not quite. "Yeah," she looked back at the water, the smallest reminder of Yara causing more tightness in her chest each passing day. "You try to sleep with that thing in the corner of your room."

"I've slept with worse," Bella said, resting her palm on the wood, leaning on her arm. "Why can't you just put it on the deck at night? You look like you could use the sleep."

She'd considered it. Putting the crate with the food, hidden behind a corner. Anywhere else. The crate was the only certainty for Yara she had, though. A mistake was quick to be made when a howling box was standing where her crew passed. Her cabin was the safest it could be. "It's fine," she said instead, hoping to see land through the darkness. "Won't be long now." She hoped it wasn't, because more days like this and she would pass out.

A frown formed shortly on Bella's face before it was pulled straight again. "Alright, I'll leave you to your moping, then."

She seemed to be waiting for an answer, expecting one. But Deema's mind was too tired, and no remark came out as she kept her eyes on the waves and the moon reflecting in them. Bella left after a few moments. While Deema didn't check, she was certain the woman had gone to bed, leaving her with only Jack and Gill on the deck. Maybe she should head back inside, try to lay very silently, and get a few hours of rest. She doubted she'd be able to stay awake for much longer.

It was a brief thought, quickly pressed down. She wouldn't go back in there, couldn't risk it. Instead, she sat down on the deck, leaning against the wooden barrier, eyes now looking at the moon. Last quarter. She knew she had to get up but couldn't bring herself to. It would hurt her pride in the morning, but she allowed her eyes to slip close, anyway. She wouldn't be much help if she could barely keep her eyes open, anyway.