chapter five

☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙
CHAPTER FIVE - the North

Land would never 'grow' on Deema, but the iron islands were

Land would never 'grow' on Deema, but the iron islands were... alright. From wherever she was standing, she could see the sea, feel the light breeze, and smell the familiar salt. She had been too fast to judge the place, especially after the few hidden gems Yara had shown her.

After the first outing, Theon hadn't joined them on the next trip, much to Deema's pleasure. Sometimes, she saw the man, and they shared a few sneers, some insults. A bit of flirting from his part. He was naive to think she would ever go for a land rat.

Despite not hating her time on the land and, surprisingly, bonding with Yara, Deema couldn't wait to be back on the sea again. Yara was dead silent about it, and if Millet knew anything, he wasn't around or sober enough to tell her.

One evening, she was stalking through the corridors again, hoping to bump into Yara, just to have something to do. She heard voices before she saw the light of torches.

"It's bullshit!" Unfortunately, she recognized the complaining voice as the one of Theon Greyjoy. What did come as a surprise, was that Yara was arguing back.

"Did you think you could walk in here and be handed everything on a golden platter? Wake up, Theon! You have to prove your worth. Prove you are a Greyjoy."

Deema halted. She knew she shouldn't, but it was so tempting. She leaned against the cool wall, focusing on the sound of their heated voices.

"It's like I don't even get a chance to do so! You get ships, I barely get a boat," he said, his voice dropping with venom. Maybe jealousy.

"Grow up," Yara scoffed. "Be happy you get this chance. Make a choice. You can't be here and in the North."

He was silent for a moment. "I have made my choice," his voice was softer. "I am here, am I not?"

"Then prove yourself, Theon," Yara said, and Deema heard her footsteps. She turned around and darted out of the corridor. "You know one simple boat is enough."

The steps she guessed were Yara's went in the other direction, echoing off. She heard Theon huff loudly, there was a clatter, and his footsteps came closer. Deema didn't bother to hide.

As the man passed her, still obviously agitated, she pushed herself off the wall with a grin. "Looks like someone's in trouble."

If she'd startled him, he did a good job of hiding it. "Were you eavesdropping? I don't know why I'm surprised," he continued walking, and Deema, who loved annoying him, followed. She'd found something to do at last. "Seems like the thing a woman like yo would do."

"A woman like me?" She chuckled, raising her eyebrows at him. "What does that mean?"

"An arrogant bitch," he was straightforward, she had to give him that. Theon turned to face her, his body tense and his jaw clenched. "You could be doing anything, but here you are."