C H A P T E R 6

Amihan gets gripped with suspicion and it shows so starkly on his face, that the High Priestess had to reassure him. "Calm yourself, I promise I mean no ill-will to you or Banawag. The curse has been removed from him as well but he may not even be aware of it." Amihan sheepishly rubs his neck, "Thank you for your kindness." Hiwaga waves her hand, "Yes, yes. It's fine."

Her gaze turned dark, despite the light the barrier gave off. "Now, what I'm about to tell you is of utmost importance. I trust that you won't say a word?" Amihan nods, 'Not like I have anyone else to tell it to, even without the curse.' Hiwaga lifts herself off the chair and asks, "What do you know about the four Malevolent Divinities?"

Amihan takes a step back in shock, "The— The agents of the High King of Darkness?!" Hiwaga nods as if they aren't discussing one of the most powerful enemies of good. Why they, as gentry clans, even fight against their dark wiles. Hiwaga notices his long silence and says, "I've been personally tracking them down in order to find something they stole from me." Amihan asks, "What is it?" Hiwaga suddenly glares down at him, "It is none of your concern, child." That causes Amihan to stiffen, and for some reason, it makes Hiwaga dial down her coldness. "I'm sorry...Habit."

Amihan was not used to people apologizing to him, but he accepted graciously. "I-it's alright, Hiwaga!" He gestures wildly, "As— as were you saying?" Hiwaga sighs before continuing, "As I've stated, I've been trying to get a hold of at least one of them, to find any clues in relation to them. And that", she gestures to the pocketed agimat, "has their energy written all over it."

Amihan clutches the pocket and whispers, "You're claiming a Malevolent Divinity cursed Banawag?" Hiwaga nods before knocking on the wooden table absentmindedly, "There is no doubt about it, but the question is which one. The energy here is unmistakable but there is no specific link to which Divinity it is. They could've used a witch to do their bidding instead, so as to not be traced." Amihan looks through his brain for anything, 'Banawag has come across one of the four Divinities and possibly offended them. Why?!'

He claims, "I've never had contact with him during the 10 years he was gone, quite honestly never thought I'd see him again." Hiwaga starts to look around his room, for some reason. She seemed a little invested in some of the weapons he collected over the years. She asks while observing them, "Why did he leave if you mind me asking?" Amihan was about to apologize, considering that it was private and he couldn't discuss it. But given the barrier around them and the fact Banawag's life is at stake, Amihan chose to tell her. 'I'm sorry Banawag, I owe you more this time.'

Once he was done relaying the tragedy of the Ulalong compound and the fall of the First House, Hiwaga's eyes sharpened. "You say he was the only survivor of the massacre, and there were no known human killers." Amihan affirmed, "After extensive investigation, and even consultation of a Bayog from the Second House, there was no conclusive evidence of who did it." Hiwaga plays with one of the smaller butterfly knives Amihan had out for display as she questioned, "During that time, did he have the agimat with him as well?"

Amihan felt his legs turn into jelly as he clenched his fists, "You mean to say..." Hiwaga flips the knife back into its compact form before placing it back on its small display stand. She wipes her hands on her dress as she clarifies, "It is probably why he survived. Can I see the agimat once more? I might be able to read the glyphs properly this time since most of the miasma is now gone." Amihan nearly throws the protective charm at the High Priestess, feeling as if burnt by its cold, metal surface.

'She's implying something mystical killed the First House...but how come Bayog Magat didn't say anything about it?' Hiwaga's voice brings him out of his reverie, "That's odd." Amihan asks, "Yes?" Hiwaga touches the surface of the agimat, reading the glyphs by both sight and touch. "This agimat should only work on you, because of its whole purpose. It's partly why it's so powerful and potent. Unlike usual agimats protecting body and soul, this aspect cannot be removed from you." Amihan feels a little lost, "What is it?"