Chapter 10

"Probitas laudatur, et alget" - Honesty is laudable, and is left to starve  

The duo marched through a complicated maze of alleyways that were built decades ago upon uneven, sloping ground. The sun now kissed the horizon, filling the evening sky with slabs of buttery twilight. The meandering residential streets gradually transformed into straighter, wider roads, and the claustrophobic gloom of the alleys was replaced by fresh air and an unobstructed view of the evening sky.

The crammed, three-story apartment buildings slowly gave way to a long line of workshops. They were now entering the craftsmen's district of Totnes.

The subdued bustle of folks on their way home was in sharp contrast to the cacophony that rung out from the workshops. Ironsmiths clanged noisily with their hammers, stonemasons chiseled away intricate inscriptions on tombstones, and glassblowers molded their latest creation with a hollow hiss of air. Oil lamps hung precariously from the corners of the stalls, casting a dull light on the grubby faces of men-at-work.

"Why are we heading towards the wharves? Did you get swindled into renting a room in a dingy cargo boat?"

Mikael heard Ami sigh in resignation. He wondered how she was able to keep up her pace. He was struggling to keep his breathing normal, lest she jibe at him for being hopelessly out of shape.

As they crossed through the craftsmen's district, warehouses and grain stores began to dominate the townscape. They were strategically placed close to the seaport to secure cargo loads quickly and cheaply from the incoming merchant ships. Access to nearby storage was a large part of the appeal of using Totnes' seaport – in the last few years, the district had grown into hundreds of storehouses of various shapes and sizes.

Ami hooked a turn into a narrow connecting street and Mikael followed, chewing the inside of his cheek pensively. Apart from a few haggard sentries dozing at the gates of their respective storehouses, the area was deserted. Dusk had now been fully engulfed by the blackness of night, and the dreary street lamps, placed too far apart for his liking, provided a meek glow that did little to illuminate the way ahead.

"You know, this is pretty much the start of every horror story I've ever read," Mikael called out from behind.

"Maybe I'm taking you to a dark corner to have you mugged and then sold as a sex slave." He couldn't see it, but he was sure there was an iniquitous smirk plastered all over her face.

"Do you just want to molest me and get your fetish over with?"

"Does that line work on any woman?"

"No. Not really."

They stopped in front of the remnants of a two-story warehouse that had been ravaged by fire and lay abandoned. The west wing of the second floor had completely collapsed, caving in the pillars that supported it and leaving a pile of splintered wood and rubble in its wake. The east wing dangled dangerously, slanted downwards, propped up by a couple of stone pillars on the east side that had managed to survive the chaos.

Mikael shot Ami a wry glance. "Rented lodgings, huh?"

"The best in town – the rent is very good and there aren't any crabby landlords scratching their armpits from behind the counter." She didn't even have the decency to look ashamed.

Mikael inspected the first floor through a large hole where a window pane was supposed to be. It was cluttered with the rubble of the collapsed wing and from broken pieces of furniture. It was readily apparent that the first floor was a furniture storehouse prior, until the unfortunate accident had reduced the intricately carved sofas and vanities into firewood.

At first glance, it didn't look like there were any decent spots to hole up, and the staircase leading to the second floor was barricaded by more debris.

"You must have a pretty flexible back to make a bed out of splintered wood," Mikael commented, pointing at the wreckage and flashing her a sardonic smile.

Without warning, Ami shot out her hand and snatched the strongbox from Mikael's grasp. Before he could let out a yelp of protest, she had already slipped the box inside her cloak and had scaled half way up the façade of the abandoned warehouse.

She took two steps off the wall, before leaping towards a piece of rock jutting out, presumably used to fasten a street lamp prior. She grabbed it with her left hand and, using her forward momentum, swiveled her body upwards, catching a crack in the stone wall with her right foot to stabilize herself.

Temporarily forgetting his indignation, Mikael marveled at the way she used the cracks in the wall and the narrow crevices of mortar between the slabs of stone to continue her ascent. Her body moved confidently and gracefully, quickly finding nooks to hook her fingertips around and improvising toe holds out of larger fissures.

Mikael could make out that she was climbing towards the second-story window. It was high up and closer to the roof of the building, slanting downwards with the glass pane shattered and the sill peppered with soot and shards. She was now resting her left foot on the outcropping that she had used earlier to start her ascent. There was a sizeable gap of smooth stone between her current position and the window sill – it didn't look like she would be able to find a decent toe hold to continue her climb.

With a herculean effort, Ami jumped off the jutting piece of rock and grabbed the edge of the sill with her right hand, grunting as she dangled precariously off her fingertips. Mikael tensed instinctively, shuffling closer to the wall to break her fall, if needed. With another strain of effort, and with Mikael gaping wide-eyed, she pulled her body-weight up and hoisted herself on the sill, tumbling in through the window.

Her face emerged moments later, her arms resting casually on the sill as if she had just taken a walk in the park. She gave him a beautiful, dazzling smile, her eyes twinkling with mirth.

"Thank you, for everything," she said genuinely. "I hope you find the mysteries you're looking for." She winked, then turned and disappeared into the darkness of the warehouse.

Mikael blinked, staring at the empty window.

Well, that was unexpected...  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: 

Well, I tried my best to paint a picture of what the town would look like, as I realized I was a bit light on description of the town itself in the previous few chapters.

Please let me know your thoughts on how the story is progressing! And please vote if you found your read enjoyable!