"what on earthland were you all thinking?" mrs. dragneel was saying, pacing nervously. "there must be hundreds of you now!"

"eight, actually," wendy piped up, but was quickly silenced by the glare her mother shot her.

"you could've been seriously hurt, you know," she continued, hysterical now. "do you have any idea how worried we were?"

"yeah, yeah, our bad, mom," natsu rolled his eyes.

"one day we won't be there to fish you out of the messes you make," she fumed. "then you'll learn your lesson."

"i-" gajeel started.

"just go," she pinched the bridge of her nose. "know that i am very disappointed with your behavior. all of you."

"juvia was just kind of dragged into this," juvia said, and gray winced.

"i don't mean you, honey, you're doing great," mrs. dragneel promised. "have a lovely day. your room is already set up for you, okay? lily's going to be walking you there."

"someone has favorites," natsu mumbled under her breath.

"jealous?" lucy asked, leaning in.

"nah, i'd rather be your favorite," natsu said, and lucy felt her cheeks burn.

"i should've slashed your tires while i had the chance," she grumbled.

"you did what?" mrs. dragneel shrieked. "that is very illegal, young lady."

"they were trying to kill us!"

"that is also highly illegal. i see. you did what you had to do. dismissed."

"aye," they sighed, shuffling out of the room.

"...but it was totally worth it, right?" gray asked.

"totally." lucy sighed, thinking of the stars. "it was gorgeous out there."

"i-"

"not a word," lucy warned. "i'm not in the mood for your pick-up lines, natsu."

"natsu's a pick-up line guy?" gray snorted. "didn't think you had it in you."

"i don't want to hear a thing from you, especially with how you treat juv-"

"shut it."

"could you two stop fighting?" erza barked, and that was the end of that.

⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻

"a resort?" lucy leaned forward in her chair, balancing on one leg.

"mhm!" wendy grinned. "mom felt bad that we had to sneak out and slash tires in order to have some fun, so all eight of us are going on a trip to akane!"

"when do we leave?"

"um, we're planning to leave, like, now."

lucy squeaked. "on such short notice?"

"um, is that okay with you? we have stuff packed for you and everything."

"of course! this is going to be so much fun," she sighed dreamily. 

"okay! we're going to pull one last heist before bed, though. i've gathered gray, erza, and juvia up for this one. it's going to be sick."

"huh?"

"well, mom said we could go next week, but she has the tickets right now, so we can just-"

"we're swiping it from under her nose as she's sleeping?" she guessed.