a/n ;; YEAH I TYPICALLY DON'T DO AUTHOR NOTES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER BUT !!!! I'M SUPER EXCITED TO GIVE YOU ALL BETTER CHAPTERS !!! lmk if you see a difference <3

⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻

wendy barreled off the jet, arms outstretched. "freedom at last!" she exclaimed, stealing a breath of salty beach air. lucy followed suit; though she was excited, nothing could quite match wendy's enthusiasm. she glanced behind her at natsu, who looked sick. he nearly fell face-first into the pavement as he made his way down the stairs. she scooped him up by his arm and studied him. "you okay?"

natsu swallowed his sickness and nodded hesitantly. "glad to be back on the ground."

"likewise." the jet had been luxurious, but a small space with the ever-furious gray and natsu wasn't exactly somewhere she would choose to be for an extended period of time. she swore she felt the jet rocking with every punch they threw.

nevertheless, they were on solid ground now. juvia, gray, and erza trailed behind them. erza was hauling an impossible number of suitcases. lucy blinked. she thought she packed too much for trips, but erza was just on another level entirely. finally, all the luggage had been unloaded and handed to a concierge, who would be leading them to their rooms.

there were three rooms in total, lucy discovered. they would divide themselves evenly among these rooms and stay at the hotel for a week.

"it would make sense if the boys shared a room," erza hummed. "but you can never trust those blockheads. they'd rip the hotel apart." she watched as gray and natsu took off and furrowed her eyebrows. "i'm going to go after them." she sprinted off at a terrifying pace before lucy or wendy could say anything.

"how about we do this?" wendy piped up, a little at erza's sudden departure. "you and natsu can share a room, gray and juvia can share a room, and erza and i can share a room. perfect."

"this sounds like the beginning of an 'and there was only one bed' cliché," lucy sighed defeatedly.

"are you upset about that?"

"...not particularly."

"then that's that," wendy decided. "we'll tell the others when it's time to herd them into their rooms."

for once, lucy was actually on the receiving end of these secrets. she wasn't exactly sure it was something to be excited about. she sighed. "or we could just tell them now?"

"they're far ahead of us now," wendy nodded ahead of her. gray and natsu were racing to the hotel, and juvia jogged behind, blue curls flying behind her, determined to keep pace with her precious gray-sama.

lucy puffed her cheeks out in defeat. "but what if he doesn't want to share a room with me?"

"highly doubt that's the case," wendy mumbled under her breath, just barely loud enough for lucy to hear.

lucy feigned ignorance. "what was that?"

"nothing!" wendy smiled sweetly. "cmon, we'd better catch up to the others."

devious, lucy thought. she did not want to be on the wrong side of wendy's schemes. maybe i already am, she thought glumly, jogging to catch up to the ludicrously athletic fourteen-year-old in question.

⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻

"here's your room, lovebirds," wendy declared, throwing open the door.

"wait- who?" natsu looked around wildly.

"oh, either pair of you will do," wendy flicked her wrist dismissively. "natsu and lucy or gray and juvia. i don't care which."