1. Oath Keeper

It is better to keep one's oath

That is what we were told, what was said time and time again. The same droning voices from the church, day in and day out. Everyday was the same. Clean the stables, restock the food supplies, fold the royal laundry, and cook for the king and his family, oh and pray. We pray in the morning, we pray before we eat, we pray before we sleep. Currently my life has been a constant ritual of doing the same thing, I can't help but wonder what else is out there.

Beyond the boarders of Wessex, beyond the seas of England. I've witnessed the great heathen armies raiding our lands and causing destruction. Staring out my window I can't help but think about what it might be like to live on the other side of the world.

"Arini...hello Arini...what are you doing?" My brother Benjiman's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. Turning around to face him I can't help but to see our fathers eyes in his. "Nothing brother, just lost in my thoughts" I reply with a small smile. Stepping up from where I was seated I make my way back to the kitchen, getting lost in my work helps me forget about my constant curiosity.

"Arini, the king has asked for his room to be cleaned and he has requested you to do it. I have said you will be up once you have finished in here" Elizabeth instructed. Mentally sighing I made quick work of my jobs in the kitchen. After finishing I made my way down the halls towards King Ecbert's room, I rolled my eyes as I stepped into his room. I hated being in here. There was something about this room. To be quite honest there was something about this place that I hated, I guess that is why my mind always travelled to other lands away from here. Benji and I weren't always working under King Ecbert. Ecbert had a brother Ine, He was our father, though only few know that. Ine was king until he renounced the throne and Ecbert took over. Ine left with his wife, to Rome, and we have never heard from them since. Everytime I think about it my heart fills with anger, how could someone leave their children and not care. My heart hurts most for Benji, he spent more time with our father and had a stronger relationship, I don't even care about the fact that Benji should be king, I care about how alone Benji felt. Only Elizabeth and Cyril, Benji's friend, know who our father is, or was, to feel like you have no one can change a person and sometimes not for the better.

I slowly make my way around the room, picking up loose clothing and folding it neatly, pulling the blankets back upon the bed and making sure everything is in order when King Ecbert and Judith walk in. Staring down at my feet I acknowledge their presence, "King Ecbert, Princess Judith" I speak quietly. "Ah Arini, my dear Judith do you think you could give me a minute" Ecbert says in a cool tone. As I go to leave with Judith he grabs my wrist in a firm grip.

"Arini, I believe there is something you have been hiding from me" he gently stroked my face. A wave of worry washes through my body as I stared into his eyes, how does he know. "Father" Æthelwulf barges in as I quickly step away from the King. "Forgive me father, but Ragnar has returned"

A/N: First chapter and honestly I have no clue where this is going to go but I actually don't mind this. Also it has been a while since I have watched Vikings so bare with me.

-U x