4. Allowed to Stay

The journey was long and gruelling, the harsh sea spray dried my skin and our water was barely sufficient for the entirety of the journey

The journey was long and gruelling, the harsh sea spray dried my skin and our water was barely sufficient for the entirety of the journey. "Arini" Ivars voice woke me from my slumber as I slowly opened my eyes. Adjusting to the light I gradually got up and stood staring out from the boat. The water was calm, the only disturbance was from King Ecbert's men, Edward and Thomas, rowing. The way the lush green mountains towered over us was incredible, nothing like what I had ever seen back home. Of course our land had trees and hills, a few mountains if we were lucky but nothing could compare to the sheer beauty of Scandinavia.

Ivar sat close to me gazing upon his home land. I could tell he was relieved to be home, back to his brothers and mother. He had told me stories of his brothers on our voyage back. Bjorn, who is the eldest and was Ragnar and Lagertha's son; Ubbe who was next, born to Ragnar and Aslaug as were the rest of the boys; Hvitserk, Sigurd and of course Ivar. His face would light up every time he spoke of his mother, Aslaug. I couldn't wait to meet her, though it was apparent from Ivar's stories Lagertha did not like her.

My hands gripped the edge of the boat, knuckles turning white with my heart beginning to pound. My nerves were heightening and Ivar could tell. He placed his hand on top of mine and offered a comforting smile, "do not worry, I will make sure you are safe," his words helped to calm my nerves. Kattegat came into view and my eyes grew wide, memories flooded back of Benji and home. Before I could even think more about what might be happening to Benji the boat was docked and Ivar was gone, carried off of the boat, leaving my hand cold and missing the comfort. Edward kindly helped me off. "She's is coming with us," Ivar instructed as the two men who grabbed him quickly looked back, locking eyes with me for only a brief second.

Following behind, I could feel the stares from everyone we passed. I felt uncomfortable, like an outsider because I was. We made our way to a small home, there was fresh water, food and a fire to warm my cold bones. I guess they could tell I was cold because the older one handed me furs to warm up. I sat down watching as they all conversed, through this I found out that they were Ivar's brothers, the older one being Ubbe and the other being Sigurd. The conversation was a sombre one, the news of Ragnar's death was one of hurt and sadness but that was nothing compared to the anguish felt by Ivar having to comprehend the death of his mother at the hands of Lagertha. Anguish soon turned to anger, I watched as Ivar clenched his fists. My eyes widened slightly at the sight of blood trickling down his hand. Ivar soon left, leaving Ubbe and Sigurd still with me.

A sigh made my head snap to the source, Ubbe looked exhausted. Both brothers looked at me and I suddenly became unable to speak, their intense stares felt like they went straight through me. "Forgive me, my name is Arini. I was sent by King Ecbert to make sure Ivar returned safely although I cannot return to Wessex," I had hoped that would suffice their need to know. I had expected their initial reaction, it was the same as Ivar's when he first met me, the realisation that I could speak their language shocked them slightly but also intrigued them. They told me stories of their other brothers who were yet to return from the expedition to the Mediterranean, I guess they could tell I was fully invested in the story because of the obvious excitement on my face. "What about you," Sigurd questioned, "what's your story, Arini?" Taken aback a little I contemplate how much I should share but considering I won't be going back to England for a long time I tell them everything that comes to mind.

"I have spent all my life in Wessex until now, I was born to a man called Ine but unfortunately I do not know who my mother is. Story is she was a young maid that he fell involve with but being married he kept her a secret. When Benji and I were born she was ordered to be executed but she fled. That left us in the care of Elizabeth, the only person who cared about my brother and I. After our father renounced his position as king he left with his wife to Rome, leaving us to work under King Ecbert," the disgust towards Ecbert was obvious when I spoke his name. "It hasn't always been bad, I have been lucky to have my brother with me" I smile. "So where is he?" Ubbe asks, "your brother?" My smile disappears, "Ecbert refused to let him leave" I look down as I speak. Emotions getting the better of me as a tear falls, "Lagertha is calling a meeting, we should probably head off" Ubbe offers a sympathetic hand as his eyes softens when he speaks. I don't know what will happen to me here, I am a Christian, I can only hope that I will be allowed to stay in Kattegat.