Two

Two

Just as we expected. The following few weeks were extremely chaotic. Nick was knee-deep in directing and I was managing the latest collection with Amy. I had unknowingly added pressure to this collection since this was completely different to what I had done before.

Jake had pulled me into his office this afternoon to talk to me about how I was feeling. I ended up spilling my thoughts to him, some of which he was already aware of. I felt somewhat relieved at the chance to vent out to Jake.

My partner but most importantly my best friend.

The relief was cut short when I saw the message that just popped up on my phone. Seconds later, Kane walked into the office with a straight face.

I felt the worst.

" No Kane, she's not picking up the boys," I said angrily as I shoved everything I could think of into my bag.

"Keys," Molly said as I was just about to leave.

I spun around and swiped the keys from my desk and dashed out. The faster the better.

Kate sat quietly in the passenger side. I was adamant that I would drive knowing how it would look if I came late to the school being driven. I am already aware of how the other parents think of me and Nick.

Parenting was never going to be easy but with both mine and Nick's lives it just made it 10 times worse.

We tried to spend as much time as we could with the boys but it was almost impossible. The boys knew that we loved them but i start to wonder if that is even enough.

I lived a lot of my life without my father so I can't fathom how they must feel when they rarely see their own parents.

"Stay in the car" I told to Kate as I saw the boys standing silently with the head and Mrs Juselle. The boys form teacher who had no shame in lashing out to me about how she thinks i'm a bad example on my boys.

I knew Kate didn't like it but I needed to do this myself.

" I'm so sorry I'm late boys. Are you alright" Joseph who looked physically worn out just nodded as a yawn escaped his lips? Lucas nodded too.

" We're fine, can we go home now?" He whispered quietly. Almost as if he was scared to speak. With the tension coming from the two behind them, I'm not surprised.

I nodded. " Go join Kate in the car," I told them. Knowing that I would need to stay back and speak with their teachers.

The boys started walking, but not after looking at their teachers nervously.

My head turned to them. I saw the look of disgust but I didn't need their validation unfortunately for them.

" This is becoming a problem, Selene, we aren't here to babysit your boys whilst you do whatever you do" Juselle was the first to speak. Voicing her deepest concerns. I am sure that is what she believes anyway.

Helen, who was someone who both myself and Nick admired seemed to send a sympathetic look.

" I appreciate your concern but this is a safe place for my boys am I right. My personal circumstances may mean I am late occasionally but unless my sons personally consult with you. I don't see the need in explaining myself"

I stared directly at her. I hope that she never believed that I was intimidated by her and her thoughts on me as a parent and as someone who works hard.

It concerns me that this is the type of character that is around the boys 5 days a week.

" They dont need to say anything, we all know" was her reply. It not only seemed to annoy me but also Helen who placed her arm on Juselle.