Four

Four

I woke up from a short nap. One of the first naps in a long time, without the relentless alerts coming from my phone and laptop simultaneously. Shortly after we arrived. I already knew that the boys would want to stay up late with one of their first days off in a long time.

Similar to a snow day. One that would have Benny driving back a short 20 minutes after the initial set off. With two beaming boys in the backseat after hearing from teachers that it was indeed a snow day.

Expecting Nick and the boys to be joining me for some shut-eye before dinner. I became confused when I couldn't find them anywhere. Walking through the house, pulling a sweater over my head. I found Kate sitting at the kitchen island which looked out to the beach in front of us.

She had her Ipad balanced against the fruit bowl as she kept a close eye outside. I followed her eyes and saw Nick outside, with the boys running around him, in fits of laughter.

" They haven't stopped, I think you might need to save Nick out there," Kate says as I pick up my phone from the table. I checked my messages from Kane. He hadn't sent me a lot, just small updates but I am more than sure that he is not going to bring me up to date with anything that he and the team can't manage themselves.

"I think I'll have to. What time is our reservation?" I asked checking the current time. Wondering how long we'd have until we needed to be in the car on our way.

Kate turned to face me, pausing the video that she was watching on youtube to give me her full attention.

" I think there's been a change of plans, Nick knows more about it though"

I turned to the window again. Surprisingly the boys had stopped running around much to Nick's appreciation. I left Kate in the kitchen and walked outside to the beachfront.

My heart swelled with pride as Joseph's head snapped over in my direction as I shut the door behind me.

" Mama you're awake" He screamed as he picked himself up from the sand and ran the few metres until he reached me. His legs were covered in sand but I didn't care right now.

" I am, have you had any rest," I said as I lifted his head. I pressed at the corner of his lips, remnants of chocolate still present.

He shook his head. " Sleeping is boring, can we go out on the boat please mom," He said shrugging away from me but not moving away. His eyes were wide and excited at the prospect.

He linked his arm with mine as we were joined by Lucas and Nick.

" New plans for dinner?" I questioned Nick as he came over and kissed my head lightly. He chuckled lowly as he stepped back. Stretching his arms above his head.

" The boys want to enjoy the beach, I thought we'd have dinner here and watch the sunset"

Nick looked down at the boys. Now both their eyes were wide in excitement. It was far easier to have dinner out, but I knew that the boys would appreciate this new idea more. I rarely cooked for them, always opting for eating out and ordering.

" and the food," I asked him.

He smirked softly. " We're cooking, " He said simply. I pressed my lips together.

" We don't even have any food, it's getting late and we won't be back in time for the sunset even if we left now" I rambled on, the thought of Nick's ideas bringing stress.

I narrowed my eyes when all three of them started to laugh. " Mum's losing her head again dad" Lucas laughed as he leaned forward. Shaking sand out from his hair.