4. Into the depths of hell

•

Cyan arrives at her office late that evening, after having to go through a long day of work consultations and plot deliberations. Despite learning that Forbes now owns three of her five inherited hotels, and that her Emperors Royale Casino has fallen into a load of debt following its closure three years ago, the alpha is in a good mood.

Today she was able to settle half of her tax repayments with the ARS which will allow her to reopen the doors of her casino by the end of the month. She has made a deal with the bureau to settle the other fifty percent over a period of monthly instalments that stretch for two years. Meanwhile, the restitution of Emperors will definitely fair well on her behalf, regardless of her repayment arrangement, as casinos always rake in good cash. Especially Cyan's. And beside one of her hotels combined to the royal casino, with her other building near the Saint Bel International Airport, rich men, travellers and tourists never bear empty pockets.

Though the alpha was in jail, along with how she had been framed by Basil Forbes, she has still been able to maintain her empire. Albeit it is not as strong or fortified as it once was—what with the irrecoverable loss she has sustained, and the sole betrayal of the men that flew under the wings of her hellish nemesis—Cyan has enough to climb back to the top again. Arms trade is much too dangerous to deal with currently, as she is under the heavy scrutiny of the court's council and board of supervisors. She will tread lightly for now, and integrate her weapon's deals once having nestled herself back in a secure money and luxury market, with an array of trustworthy clients.

Money, power, good faith and glory—those are her principles, the biblical fundamentals that she will regard on her road to a criminal promise land. And more than her determination to return the vanity and influence of her name, she yearns to crush the one who had put her in this position.

Cyan met Basil when he had just turned sixteen.

The alpha lost his parents in an airplane crash when he was twelve, and was left to look after his little sister under the mediocre caretaking of their aunt. But that was bearable. Violet kept him alive, she kept him going. As long as she was okay, so was he. However when his aunt got a boyfriend, life became all the more difficult. Albeit, the alpha repeatedly told himself this: as long as they had food every evening, and a roof over their heads, Basil was willing to stay with them. But his world began to tremble only a short while later. When he learnt that this boyfriend was beginning to take advantage of a seven year old Violet, Basil knew he had to get them both out of there.

Basil killed his first man at fifteen years old, and with the blood of his victim splattered onto his clothes, he stole his aunt's jewellery worth twenty thousand dollars, discarded the murder weapon in a ravine, and took the late evening bus with Violet to spend the uncertain nights that would succeed them at a motel one hundred kilometres away—to the city Saint Bel.