ii. born to be royal.

sage. chapter two.
SUMMARY ; sage's whole life was planned out before she even existed.

my boyfriend's pretty cool
but he's not as cool as me
——

SAGE ENJOYED to sleep. really, it was one of her favorite things to do, all curled up in a warm bed, surrounded by soft pillows, and a big fluffy comforter tucked on top, she could always go for a nap, and she was never one to complain about going to bed early. there was only one downfall of sleeping, and that was the nightmares. they weren't consistent, so she never knew when to expect them, some nights she slept perfectly through, some nights she wakes up four times to use the bathroom, and other nights she bolts up out of her sleep once or twice due to a scarring nightmare. they were something she first experienced as a young child, so naturally she just learned to live with it. that didn't make it easy, nor did it make it any less scary.

sage had been dead middle of a deep sleep when several knocks were placed on the opposite side of the wooden door to her bedroom. this doesn't disturbed the girl, and the person out in the hallway does it again, two, three more times before sage begins to stir. she lifts her arms up from underneath the thick comforter, bringing her hands to her eyes to rub at them. when the person knocks their knuckles against the door once again, she forces herself up into a sitting position.

"i'm up, come in!" sage exclaims to the person outside of her bedroom. the door pushes open within another second, revealing her mother to be the one disturbing her sleep. rowan overlooks her daughter, puffing out a heavy sigh through her nose when she was met with the sight of her still being in bed, hair all messy, and still in pajamas.

"sage, it's thor's coronation day. you must start to prepare!" rowan says to her daughter as she begins to make her way over towards her closet. sage purses her lips into a thin line to stop herself from sighing which would undoubtedly cause a scolding from her mother.

"you woke me up for something that isn't even until another four hours?" sage wanted to groan and throw herself back down into the pillows when she glanced at the clock on the bed side table to her right. 6:05am. thor declared they eat a feast of breakfast before he was crowned — god forbid he became king on an empty stomach, which was why it wasn't until a little later. rowan shoots her daughter an almost glance of shock. "it is a very big day, you must look your absolute best."

sage couldn't help the way she rolled her eyes once her mother turned her back to her to begin rummaging through her closet.  she was over the moon happy for thor, he's waited for this day his whole life, it's truly been all he's ever wanted, all of asgard couldn't have been prouder of him — including sage, he was her best friend and she couldn't wait to see the look on his face when his father finally passes down the crown to him.

but the rest of asgard weren't thinking about his younger brother like sage was.

strategically, it made sense to crown thor over loki, he was older, and usually that's how it went. though the both of them were told their whole lives they were born to be kings, and one day they would be, she could understand why loki always thought he was in the running to be king, but eventually odin would have to pick one. this always confused sage growing up, why make loki think he had a chance if he didn't? sage never spoke up about her confusion as she would never want to upset either of them, or be the bearer of bad news.

his whole life loki was under the impression odin would choose one of his son's to crown one day, and the day came where he made his choice, and he chose his oldest. sage always had a hitch it was going to be thor, with her mother and frigga constantly hinting at sage becoming queen one day, it was as clear as day they knew it was going to be thor from day one that became king. sage thought that maybe the adults just wanted loki to feel included growing up, even if they knew it was going to thor simply because he was older.