iv. jotunheim.

sage. chapter four.
SUMMARY; sage only wanted to protect them.

soon it will all be over
and buried with our past
we used to play outside when we were young
and full of life and full of love
——

SAGE FOLLOWS behind loki as they approach his brother, finding him seated on one of the elevated steps within the garden room, the one that had the overcasting balcony with a beautiful view of frigga's garden, the same one they used to play in as children. sage notices the look on thor's face instantly, he was truly a master of pouting like a kicked puppy whenever he was upset.

"it is unwise to be in my company right now, brother, and lady sage. this was to be my day of triumph," thor quietly speaks to the two as they both took a seat on either sides of him, placing the blonde in the middle of them. it was clear as day in his voice he was both disappointment and anger.

"it'll come, in time," loki responds to his brother, looking at the defeated expression on is face. sage purses her lips into a thin line, furrowing her eyebrows as she stared at her friend in concern. "yeah, your father will still make you king someday, today's events weren't your fault, you weren't even king yet when it happened," sage adds on to try and rid of the gloomy expression on thor's face.

"if its any consolation, brother, i think you're right. about the frost giants, about laufey, about everything. if they found a way to penetrate asgard's defenses once, who's to say they won't try again? next time with an army," loki says to his brother, agreeing with his earlier protests against their father. sage glances across thor to shoot him a questioning look, one to which he grinned at, a grin that didn't comfort her. since when did he agree with thor? he didn't, and the sight of it happening now worried her.

"such kind words. thank you, my two dearest friends-"

"i'm not your friend," loki stops him before he could continue, his grin quickly faltering to an emotionless expression at the sound of thor daring to call him a friend. "i must think of a way to handle this on my own, show father i am fit to be king," thor continues onwards, ignoring loki's previous words.

"there's nothing you can do without defying father," loki furrows his eyebrows at his brother, as sage frowns. she had hoped maybe he would've given up on the subject of doing something about the situation, it wasn't everyday odin yelled at him, she thought for sure it would've hit a nerve, and he would have backed down on the matter. suddenly, thor's facial expression changes as if a light bulb had went off inside his head, his face lighting up in realization.

"no, no, no. i know that look," sage says as she shook her head, already knowing she was going to hate whatever idea thor had come up with.

"it's the only way to ensure the safety of our borders," thor thinks out loud, sounding so sure of himself, already so confident in his plan despite having yet to speak it out loud. loki shakes his head, leaning forward to scrub his hand down his face, stopping at the bottom to cup his chin, sage watched him close his eyes for a short moment, almost like he had to brace himself for whatever thor's plan was — which, maybe he did.

"thor, it's madness,"

"madness? what sort of madness?" sage asks, confusion written all over her face as her voice sounded in a panic, suddenly very worried about what the two brothers knew and somehow she didn't, usually she was good at reading both of their facial expressions. she knew whatever gear was turning in thor's head was the one singular gear that loki had influenced over the course of their lives, she could tell when that one was spinning, it gave him crazy, bad ideas. but she couldn't pinpoint exactly what he was thinking, not like loki apparently could.