iii. daring to hold hands.

sage. chapter three.
SUMMARY ; the frost giants break into asgard.

i'm anxious and nothing can help
and i wish i'd done this before
and i wish people liked me more
——

SAGE WATCHED with a beaming smile as thor proudly made his way towards her and his father, grinning ear to ear with a pleased glint in his eyes. he had decided to make quite a dramatic entrance, walking in late on purpose, flying in with mjollnir in the air. odin hadn't been the happiest about this choice (sage had encouraged him to do it when he let her in on the secret six weeks ago) he's had this day planned out inside his head for years, and sage expected nothing less from him.

sage stood alongside odin's throne, up higher than anyone else excluding the king himself. she noticed the curious glances the asgardians sent her way, clearly confused as to why she was given the opportunity to stand at such a point, then the expressions and stares faded as quick as thor flew in, stealing all the attention, which she was grateful for. this day was about him becoming king, not the make believe role everyone seemed to want sage to play as his soon to be wife.

loki was stood three steps down on the floor to the right of sage, diagonal from her. every few minutes the two would make quick eye contact, loki wasn't forcing a fake smile through the coronation, and sage had to. he looked beyond disgusted to even be there as a witness, let alone an actual supportive brother. he didn't support the choice of crowning thor, he didn't think he was ready — that's if he ever even would be in loki's eyes. sage didn't think it was fair loki wasn't allowed to be stood on the opposite side of odin — or in sage's spot, he deserved to be there before her, he was family, he was still a prince. but it seems even odin was determined on the idea of her and thor, so much so he pushed loki aside once more.

sage feels torn. on one hand words couldn't describe how proud she was of thor, the boy she's known since birth had blossomed into such a remarkable man. she remembered him telling her all the good he would do for the people of asgard once the crown was passed down to him when they were kids, his eyes always shining so bright with excitement for this very day, and sage got to stand alongside his father while the title was passed to him.

on the other hand, she had to watch loki stand and suffer for the very day he's dreaded his whole life. although he felt he lived in thor's shadow for what's felt like eternity, at least they were both prince's, they held the same title to the people of asgard. and now, thor was king, and he would remain a prince likely forever. it broke her heart to see that look on loki's face, the one that told her he was mentally screaming in rage. sage knew a blowout was doomed to happen later, he'd destroy his bedroom once more in a fit of anger.

loki's fingernails dug into the palms of his hands each time he clenched his fists by his side to stop an outburst from erupting each time he glanced at sage. the plan to have sage marry thor was clearer than ever, hence she was standing beside his father to crown his brother, and he wasn't. which, loki guessed made sense, after all a queen was higher than a prince, and suddenly he felt like he had been punched in the gut at the realization of that.

sparing the girl another look, he sees she's staring at odin as he speaks his very long speech to thor, beginning to start the crowning.
she'd make a beautiful queen one day, she was thoughtful, and had a brain inside her head unlike thor, she'd probably do a better job at ruling than he would, loki couldn't help but think to himself.