I GUESS WE ARE...

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."

- Jonathan Safran Foer

CHAPTER 10: I GUESS WE ARE...

THIRD PERSON'S POV

It all started when Yoon Seol Ah and Kang Joo Kyung met at a university in Seoul. They became good friends, they had never been in love before because Joo Kyung was in love with another woman at that time.

They became a famous trio at the university because of the unique talent, wealth, and intelligence of them. Ah, only Joo Kyung and Seol Ah are rich. Joo Kyung's girlfriend Jeong Na Ryeong comes from a poor family.

"Seol Ah-ssi, do you think Joo Kyung oppa's parents will love me?" asked Na Ryeong. She's younger than Taehyun's mother.

"I think so. If I am his mother, I will accept you. You're honest, brave, beautiful, smart, and kind."

"But I'm not as rich as you..." she frowned, Seol Ah felt bad for her friend.

No matter where you go, most parents, whether they are men or women, always behave like this, their child have to marry a rich man or woman. Setting aside the talent, intellectual skills, and ability you have, if you don't have money.

Wealth is every parent's standard, you will rarely find one that supports their child's happiness. This is why Seol Ah promised herself that if one day and she finally have her own child, her motto will be child's happiness first before mine.

Later that day, Na Ryeong called her eonnie, Seol Ah.

"Yes? How did it go?"

She heard her sobs, "It's your fault. You said they will like me for Joo Kyung oppa! You betrayed me! You slut!" and with that, Na Ryeong hangs up the phonecall. Meanwhile, Seol Ah felt devastated. How could her friend said those things to her? What did she do wrong?

She locked herself up to her room because of what happened, hours after that, her parents told her what she needed to do. She felt guilty. Her parents and Joo Kyung's parents made a deal for the two of them, it was to marry them off to each other for a good life.

Why me? Why not Na Ryeong?

Simply because she's rich and an ideal woman. The one that every man would love to be their wife. Yoon Seol Ah, she's the chosen one for everything. She loves getting all the things she wanted to have but you know what she failed to get? Freedom. She never had her freedom as her parents always dictate her to the point where she's been overthinking.

Being a filial daughter is not as good and as easy as you think it would be. You must to obey your parents even it's suffocating you, because they're the ones who feeds you, dresses you, and gives you everything you needed. They will always say that you have everything but not the freedom you always wanted to have. It's your obligation to pay for every centavos that they spent on you.

Sometimes, she wished she wasn't born with a golden spoon in her mouth. If the consequences of being wealthy would be like this, how she wished she wasn't born in this world.