Chapter 6

Spike

Sorry Spike won't be in today feeling ill. Please reschedule my appointments for later on in the week. Harlow x

I hadn't heard from Harlow all weekend, she hadn't returned my calls and I was hoping she just had a cold and wasn't hiding from Diesel or having second thoughts about working here.

That's fine. Do U need anything?

No! x

Harlow's response surprised me. I had a busy day myself with customers and now had to rearrange her appointments. I planned on going to her apartment after work to make sure she was okay and that Diesel hadn't upset her further. He could be an arse sometimes and I wasn't sure how much Harlow could tolerate. I was still reeling from my altercation with Diesel, I was so annoyed with him on Saturday that we came to blows. I know it was a misunderstanding and he hadn't done anything with Amber but that crazy arse bitch could potentially ruin the best thing that had happened to him in a long time.
Amber was told by Duke to never return to the club and made it very clear that if any Brothers were to help her, they would answer to him. Hopefully that would stop her from turning up again, although Amber was similar to a cockroach.

I closed the shop at 5.00pm and went to the pharmacy to buy some cold and flu products for Harlow as I needed her back in the shop as soon as possible. Pulling up outside Harlow's apartment, I thought I noticed the living room curtain twitch. Was I imagining it?
Knocking on the door, I waited for her to answer and after a couple of minutes, I knocked again slowly losing my patients. "Harlow it's Spike, answer the door."
I went to the window and tried to look through but the curtains were pulled making it impossible to see anything. I knocked on the door again, "If you don't open this fucking door, I'm gonna kick it in." I heard the lock and then the white painted door opened slightly.
Harlow poked her head through the small gap, "Spike you didn't have to come over, I told you I was just a little under the weather."
The harshness of her voice fucking annoyed me, as I'd always been respectful to her.
"I've brought you medicines to make you better, now let me in." I held up the bag from the pharmacy to show her but I was getting angrier by the minute at her reluctance.
She reminded me so much of Helen, stubborn, pig headed and strong the list was endless but this is what made me want to protect her.
"I don't want you catching it Spike." Harlow stated trying to close the door but I stuck my boot in the gap to prevent her keeping me outside in the cold.
"Open the fucking door now, stop being so fucking stubborn and let me look after you." I pushed the door open with force and was shocked by what I saw.

"What the fuck has happened to your face?" I dropped the medicines on the floor as I grabbed her arms to hold her still so that I could inspect her but she grimaced at my touch. Looking down at her arms, I could see the bruises and let go stepping back as I ran my hands over my head in frustration not knowing what to do.
"Get on the sofa, I need to take a look at you now." I knew that I sounded harsh but I needed to take stock of the situation and assess my next move.
As she slowly walked towards the sofa she held her ribs and the pain was evident on her face although she tried to hide it. She was in a lot of pain and I was going to find out who did this to her and fucking kill them. No women should ever have to endure any form of abuse and it sickened me to the core. I took my phone out of my pocket and called Doc, "I need you at Harlow's place now!" I doubted he knew where she lived but he'd figure it out.

"Harlow, you need to tell me exactly what happened." I sat on the coffee table directly in front of her and found it difficult not to touch her but I didn't know where she was hurting so I really needed to keep my distance.
"It's nothing, I came off my motorcycle on the way home on Saturday. I told you I had a cold because I didn't want you to worry." She wasn't making eye contact and I could tell that she was lying but I didn't want to push her. I hoped she would confide in me and tell the truth and was now concerned that she was trying to protect someone. Harlow coughed and held her side to try to stop the pain, her ribs were most certainly bruised or possibly even broken.
I stormed into the kitchen to get her a drink and found a clean glass on the draining board, I filled it with cold water from the jug in the fridge and hastily stalked in the direction of the living room. I walked past the kitchen table and noticed her leather jacket hanging on the back of the chair. I picked it up and inspected it thoroughly to see that there were no marks or scrapes on the leather and this confirmed what I already thought.
I took the glass of water into the living room and placed it on the coffee table. Harlow was taking her asthma pump because she was struggling to breath and I was now feeling guilty as I'd obviously upset her by asking too many questions but I needed to know the truth. I knelt between her legs on the wooden floor, resting my hands lightly on her knees to try to get her full attention.
"Harlow, you need to calm down babe slow breaths come on." I lifted the water to her lips and she slowly took a sip but pulled away as it irritated her cut lip.
"I know you're not telling me the truth, I've seen your leather and there aren't any marks on it. I need to know who you're protecting babe and why?" I sat back and waited for her to answer.
Her eyes filled with tears and she continued to stare at the floor unable to make eye contact with me. "I've gotta ask you one more question, then I'll give you some space. Was it Diesel who assaulted you?"
She looked at me with a horrified expression, "Why would you think it was Diesel who attacked me?"
There was a knock on the door which made her jump, "It's okay Harlow, I've asked Doc to come and take a look at you." I reassured her patting her knee lightly as I got to my feet. I pulled out my gun to be on the safe side, making my way around the sofa towards the door and peered through the spy hole to see Doc and Duke. I opened the door, allowing them enough space to enter the living room, Harlow's apartment was a reasonable size but felt small with the four of us in the same room.
Doc walked over to Harlow and I stood back with Duke trying to give them some space. Doc asked if they could go into her bedroom so that she could be examined properly, I was waiting for her response because I would then know if we were dealing with a sexual assault. She slowly stood up and made her way towards the bedroom, still holding her side from the pain, she glanced over in my direction and gave a small smile, which reassured me slightly.